General School Questions
How do I know how my child is doing in class?

Progress reports are sent home for parents to review and sign every 4.5

When are parent/teacher conferences held?
You may call the school at any time and schedule a parent/teacher conference.
When should I take my foreign language requirements (2 levels of the same)?
If a student is planning on taking two semesters of a foreign language it is
best to start taking it in your Junior year.  With one semester in the
Junior year and one semester in the Senior year, a student is better
prepared to continue his study of foreign language at the university level.
How can I make a successful transition to high school/college?
*Develop good study habits.
*Live a heathly lifestyle.
*Stay involved in your family's activities.
Which AP Courses are available?
AP English III, AP US History, AP English IV, AP Biology, AP Calculus
Testing Questions
Does my child have to take the End-of-Course/VoCats Exams?

Yes, these are state mandated exams and are no exemptions for daily

What is the NC Computer Skills Test and do I have to pass it?
This is a state mandated test that is taken by students in the 8th grade. 
The students are required to pass this exam in order to graduate from high
school with a diploma.
What is and when do I take the PSAT?
The PSAT is the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test that introduces the
student to college entrace exams.  It also serves as a merit scholarship
indicator for students as they progress through their Junior and Senior years
and apply for financial aid for college.  Every Junior that plans on
attending a college or university after graduation gets to take the PSAT free
of charge.  If you are a Freshman or Sophomore, you can sign up to take the
PSAT in student services and pay a small fee.
When should I start taking the SAT?
Normally a student starts taking the SAT in the spring of their Junior year
and in October of their Senior year.  Talk with your counselor to plan your
strategy for success because each individual has different needs and
Is this school a testing site for the ACT or will I need to go somewhere nearby?
All Juniors in the state of North Carolina have to take the ACT. This will be administered during the regular school day and students will be given the date and time.  If you would like to take the ACT and you are not a Junior you will need to go to an ACT testing site, a high school in Guilford County, to take this test.  Visit the following link to learn more about the ACT.  www.act.org
Should I take the ASVAB test? What's it all about?
Talk with Mr. Horton in room 808 and check out the following website.  It will tell you all you ever needed to know about the ASVAB.  http://www.asvabprogram.com/
College Questions
Do you have any forms I need to apply for financial aid?
The form for the FAFSA is online at www.fafsa.ed.gov . This form is free to complete and submit, so don't use any other website because you may have to pay a fee.  The FAFSA form must be completed during the window of January 1st and March 15th of the year in which your child is applying to go to college.  Parents must file taxes as early as they can in order to complete the FAFSA form for their child to go to college and get financial aid.  This is very important and its almost pertinent that you submit the form by the middle to late February because money is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. 
How can I receive a scholarship for college?
Take the toughest courses in high school, study and make good grades. 
Search out scholarships that match your interest and career goals. Apply and
meet the deadlines. Also be involved in your school and community.  Your involvement in various activities increases your chance and exposure to different scholarships. 
When are Senior Conferences starting?
Senior conferences will start over the summer and continue through August.  During your Senior Conference you will talk about High School requirements, understanding your transcript, Future plans (i.e. College, Military, Work), Financial Aid and important information you will need to have a successful senior year and Graduate with your class.  
When should I apply to college?
Normally students apply the fall semester of their Senior year of school.
What kinds of grades do most colleges require?
Each college is unique in accepting different grades, but for the most part, C's and above are accepted.  There are exceptions made but it is on an individual basis at the college's decretion.  A minimum of 2.5 gpa is looked at by the majority of the 4 year colleges.
Are there any college fairs at this school or nearby?

Yes, each year we have a college fair here at our school in the early fall near September.
Do you have any information to help me start exploring my interests and related careers?
Yes, we have some material in our office, and www.cfnc.org is a great resource for all kinds of information.
Can I see my transcript as it stands now, to see if everything is as I think it should be?
Yes, you can request an unofficial transcript from Ms. Smith at any time.  In order to get an official transcript, you must have a signed transcript release form on file.