| INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS)
DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
CENTER FOR GLOBAL ENGAGEMENT >
INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS) >
HOW TO APPLY FOR YOUR J-1 VISA
How to Apply for Your J-1 Visa
Prospective exchange visitors apply for the J-1 visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country using the Form DS-2019 issued by RMU once all of the requirements have been met.
Once you have been accepted to RMU, please complete the following:
- Wait for your welcome package, sent by us. It will contain many things including your DS-2019 form.
- Complete your I-901 form and pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. The form is available for online completion at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/. Print the receipt.
- Make an Appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- On the day of your appointment, Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and take these things with you:
- DS-2019 Form
- Receipt of Payment for the I-901 SEVIS Fee
- RMU Acceptance Letter
- Original Financial Documents
- Any other documents the Consular requests
- Complete an application for a J-1 Student Visa.
- The Consular will ask you questions to determine your intent to return home and to prove that you have adequate funds.
Contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate or write to email@example.com for general and specific questions about the J-1 visa application process.
- Allow yourself no less than 6 weeks to get your visa before you are scheduled to arrive in the U.S.
- Answer truthfully only the questions asked to you.
- Remember, only you can convince the U.S. Consulate that you should be issued a student visa.