| INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS)
DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
CENTER FOR GLOBAL ENGAGEMENT >
INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS) >
HOW TO APPLY FOR YOUR F-1 VISA
How to Apply for Your F-1 Visa
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. The form is available here. Be sure to print the receipt!!
- After paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee, make an appointment with the nearest U.S. Consulate and complete an application for an F-1 Student Visa.
- Take the following items with you to your visa appointment (remember, you need to show as much information as possible to the consular officer):
The consulate officer will be asking you questions to determine three things:
- I-20 Form
- Receipt of Payment for the I-901 SEVIS Fee
- Original Financial Documents
- RMU Acceptance Letter
- Scholarship Letter(s)
- Undergraduate Students Only: TOEFL, IELTS or SAT Verbal scores
- Graduate Students Only: GMAT or GRE scores depending on program
- Any other document the Consular requests
- Intent to return – you need to prove that you will return to your home country upon completion of your studies.
- Proof that you have adequate funds.
- The similarity between your intended major and your future career objectives.
- Allow yourself no less than 6 weeks to get your visa before you are scheduled to arrive in the U.S.
- Be yourself, answer truthfully and remember, only you can discuss with the U.S. Consulate why you have chosen to study at RMU and why you should be issued a student visa!