| INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS)
DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
CENTER FOR GLOBAL ENGAGEMENT >
INTERNATIONAL AND EXCHANGE STUDENT SERVICES (IESS) >
CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an opportunity for international students to obtain work experience in their field of study. These experiences can be internships, externships, or cooperative education programs.
When can I start?
Start the process as soon as you become interested! Keep in mind that you must be lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year at Robert Morris University before you can start the CPT process (exception exists for graduate students whose programs require immediate curricular training).
You will need to search for, find, and be hired for the job before you register for class credit. So, inform us at the Center for Global Engagement when you begin the process!
Once you get the job, you will need to register for the CPT before the following dates:
- Want to work during the Fall Semester? Register no later than September 4
- Want to work during the Spring Semester? Register no later than January 15
What do I need?
- To be enrolled as a full time student at Robert Morris University
- A Letter or Email from the company giving you the job to verify that you will be working there
- A Letter from your department head that shows the internship will be applied to your Checksheet for class credit
- Finally, register for your CPT at the same time you register for your classes that you are taking that semester
Things you should know?
- There is a limit to the amount of time you can work
- School in session? You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week
- School not in session? You can work a maximum of 40 hours per week