Promise Zone AmeriCorps Member (Binghamton, NY):
This member will help to represent Promise Zone on a team working in the Roosevelt area that includes Lisa Blitz, BU Faculty working with Roosevelt Elementary School and Amelia LeDolce, Healthy Lifestyles Coalition through United Way. This member will help to develop and facilitate parent engagement opportunities. Focus will be given to community building, helping neighbors to work together for a safer and healthier environment for their children. There will intentional direction given to supporting academic success for children and healthy lifestyle choice for families to include but not restricted to parent cafes, supporting nutrition education, developing and sustaining neighborhood watch activities, and co-facilitating community events at Lee Barta Community Center.
Community Nutrition Coordinator with Delaware Opportunities (Hamden, NY):
1. Manage the Delaware Opportunities Garden to offer more local, nutritious farm produce to members of the community who utilize the Food Pantries
2. Recruit, train, and offer support to volunteers in the garden
3. Focus specifically on connecting more low-income community members with local nutritious foods
4. Provide education and training to low-income residents on food growing methods and healthy food preparation
5. Facilitate and assist with the monthly regional deliveries of food to the fourteen Food Pantries in Delaware County when needed
6. Assist with Delaware Opportunities’ Monthly Food Distributions
Family Services Coordinator with Chemung Habitat for Humanity (Elmira, NY):
Develop and implement a streamlined support system for partner families to ensure that families are prepared adequately for the rigors of the Home Repair and Home Ownership Programs.Serve as a counselor, meeting with families to discuss program criteria, financial literacy, and housing need. Update a community housing resource list to refer those who are not eligible for Habitat's home ownership program to an appropriate agency. Track the measurable progress of our affiliate's Home Ownership and Home Repair programs, ultimately leading to 20 unique individuals classified as elderly or disabled receiving home repair services that result in a measurable difference in accessibility and independence. Personal vehicle recommended.