Part-Time AmeriCorps Positions:
~Complete 300, 450, or 900 hours of service by Nov 30, 2015
~Living Allowance provided during service
~Receive Segal Education Award
~College loan forbearance available
Living Allowance and Education Award Amounts
- Disseminate information to residents about lead poisoning prevention, immunizations, communicable diseases, food, environmental and home safety.
- Maintain current records of supplies and materials for the Health Neighborhoods Program
- Recruit community members to sign up for home inspections (door-to-door recruiting, attending community events, assist in development of press releases, e-mail marketing
- Conduct general public surveys
- Phone contact with pregnant women to assess needs and make referrals as needed
- Provide information and options for health-related screenings
- Contact new birth moms to offer/provide health information and information about community supports
- Contact/work on resources and information with Early Intervention and Preschool parents
Farm-Outreach Health Access Specialist with Mothers & Babies Perinatal Network (MBPN) (Binghamton, NY):900 hours (30-35 hours per week, May - November 2015)
- The Health Access Specialist will work to develop marketing, outreach and public education campaigns to promote, educate, and facilitate enrollment through the New York State of Health marketplace.
- Work in all geographic settings throughout a 5 county region of central New York State (Broome, Chemung, Delaware, Tioga and Otsego).
- Play an integral role in building individual and community capacity by increasing health insurance/access knowledge through a range of activities such as outreach, community and school-based education and informal counseling.
- Help link people to needed health care information and services and will serve as a bridge between the community and healthcare, government and social services. Successful candidates will be assigned to various position functions based on personal expertise or interest areas and/or geographic locations as possible.
- Travel required with mileage reimbursement.
Greenhouse and Market Coordinator with ACHIEVE (Binghamton, NY) 300 hours: The AmeriCorps Member will work with a group of adults with developmental disabilities in a greenhouse and garden setting. The Member will be charged with going to the Vestal Farmer's market each Wednesday with staff and program participants from the Achieve Day Habilitation program. Product from the greenhouse and gardens will be sold at market. There will be an emphasis on community integration for program participants. Program participants will set up at Market, greet potential customers, answer questions, handle money and give change with assistance if necessary. Member will encourage and facilitate relationships with other Market members and customers. The Member will work with individuals in the greenhouse and garden setting in areas including: seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, composting, harvesting. (May through August/September)