The Diary of Anne Frank 2016
CC.8.R.L.1 Key Ideas and Details: Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
CC.8.R.L.3 Key Ideas and Details: Analyze how particular lines of dialogue or incidents in a story or drama propel the action, reveal aspects of a character, or provoke a decision.
CC.8.R.L.7 Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or drama stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors.
Completed charts in the packet (formative)
Multiple choice test on the play (summative)
Character map test exactly like the one in the packet (summative)
Vocabulary.com list which I will set up soon (formative)
Quotes challenge creation (formative)
Quotes challenge quiz (summative)
What should you be able to do after reading The Diary of Anne Frank?
Know the background and setting of the play
World War II
How Jews were persecuted and outcome
Know each of the characters:
Relationship to others
Identify important quotes said by each
Explain the conflicts
External- between other characters and world
Internal- Struggles to understand self
Plot the story
Important events that add tension
Identify the climax
Explain the resolution
Be able to explain the theme and its development over the course of the play
Be able to do something like this:
Who said these quotes?
- Burn them. All of them.
- I’ve got to go to the other side of town to get some ration books for you.
- I’m sort of a lone wolf.
- And Anne hasn’t had her milk . . .
- You’ll be all right, Peter? You’re not afraid?
- Mother is unbearable. She insists on treating me like a baby, which I loathe.
- No. No.
- Background video #1
- Background video #2
- Listen to the first half of the play
- Listen to the second half of the play
- Here is the Google Doc version I will be marking up.
- Study Guide: What you should be able to do after reading the play.
- Practice we will hopefully get to do.
- Assessment: Test on the characters