Unit 1 “Culture and Belonging”
Performance Task: (DUE ????) At the end of this collection, students will write an expository essay focusing on the challenges immigrants face and the adjustments immigrants make. Students will use information learned in Unit 1 to create an expository essay focusing on immigration and the effects it has on individuals adjusting to a new culture.
Literary Terms students need to know:
Bonne Annee Essay Samples to get a C.
My Favorite Chaperone
Close reading activities in this unit will focus on
character analysis- main, minor, dynamic, static
text structure- exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, conflict
conflict- internal, external
connecting with the narrator
You will also be writing an objective summary of the story: approximately 300 words typed.
Slideshows on Chaperone
Theme developed through characters, setting, and plot
How incidents propel the action
How imagery is used in the story
Challenges and adjustments made by immigrants in the story
Literary terms in My Favorite Chaperone
A Place to Call Home
- “My Favorite Chaperone” by Jean Davies Okimoto
- “Bonne Annee” personal essay by Jean-Pierre Benoit
- “A Place to Call Home” research study by Scott Bittle and Johnathan Rochkind
- from The Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang
- New Immigrants Share Their Stories documentary directed by Lisa Gossels
- “Powwow at the End of the Word” poem by Sherman Alexie
End of Unit Benchmark Test:
Practice: We will review the results in detail.