Hello! My name is Bonnie Richmond. I am the School Counselor for the Edgewood Primary, Edgewood Intermediate, and Stinesville Elementary Schools. This page will provide you with information about the school counseling program, upcoming counseling-related activities, counseling topics and resources.
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. firstname.lastname@example.org
Why an Elementary School Counselor?
A school counselor partners with all students, school staff, and families as an integral part of the entire educational system.
A school counselor promotes the academic achievement through social, emotional and behavioral intervention activities.
A school counselor assists children on a short-term, as-needed basis through individual and group counseling services.
When issues go beyond the training of a school counselor, we can help find community resources as needed.
How does Elementary School Counseling help students?
- Children are given a place to express their feelings.
- Children develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves and others.
- Children develop socially and emotionally in their relationships with others.
- Children learn techniques for handling challenges.
- Children learn to take responsibility for their own actions.
- Children learn how to cope with stress and anxiety.
- Children learn to cope with changes.
- Children develop decision-making, problem-solving, and leadership skills.
Generally, counselors meet students in...
- an individual session
- group sessions with kids who are dealing with the same problem, such as divorce
- classrooms, where the counselor teaches a guidance lesson on a subject that affects everyone, such as study skills