Counseling News for April 2016
This is Scholarship Season for our Seniors! There are still some scholarships available this month for seniors to apply. Check the District Scholarship Bulletin on the Placer High Counseling webpage. Do not delay and possibly miss a scholarship opportunity. If you have any questions, please contact Counselor, Katy Chamberlin.
Senior Scholarship Award Night will be held on Wednesday, May 18th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium. This event celebrates seniors who have received school, community, and college scholarships; this is for monetary awards. To assist us in recognizing these accomplishments, we ask that seniors bring copies of their scholarship letters/print-out of email as soon as they get them to the counseling office, so we can include them in the event’s program. This includes any college specific awards that students have received, i.e. a Merit Award or Honor Award . The deadline for submissions is Monday, May 4th; this is so you can be recognized before your parents and peers.
College Acceptance Now is the time when seniors receive college acceptance letters. As you are notified of acceptance be sure to let us know by filling out a college acceptance form at Mrs. Smith’s counter in the Counseling Office. With this information, students can be added to our College Board in the counseling office and on the counseling website. With this display, we can all share in the pride of having our students go on to attend some of the best colleges and universities in the country!
Sierra College Seniors who plan on attending Sierra College next fall should have already applied, completed the online orientation, taken their assessment tests and met with a Sierra counselor. If you have not applied, go to the Placer High website, click on “Counseling” and then click on “Applying to Sierra College” (on the left-hand side under Navigation). The first day of online class selection for new students is April 26, but all of the above mentioned steps must be completed first! Assessment times and counseling appointments are filling up so don’t wait! The high demand classes fill up very quickly!
UC Personal Statement--Class of 2017 and after
The University of California is changing the Personal Statement for the future. Students will respond to 4 of the 8 questions and each response limited to 350 words.
1. Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
2. Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
3. What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
4. Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.
5. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
6. Describe your favorite academic subject and explain how it has influenced you.
7. What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
8. What is the one thing that you think sets you apart from other candidates applying to the University of California?
AP Testing registration is now closed. Registered students will receive reminders showing times and test locations closer to the testing dates. See testing schedule below.
College-bound Juniors Students who plan on attending a four-year college upon graduation from Placer High School should take the SAT or ACT at this time. See the schedules below. It is highly recommended that all testing be completed by June and perhaps a 2nd test be taken in the Fall. Subject tests are no longer required for the UC system unless specified for an impacted major. For private and out-of-state colleges, check out their requirements and dates online.
Spring 2016 SAT Test Dates
Register at: Collegeboard.com
2016 ACT Test Dates