Henry Taylor blacksmith
Henry Taylor - Blacksmith
Henry Taylor was born in 1849 and started his business in 1870 of Wheelwright, Undertaker and Blacksmith on the site on the corner of The Street and Rectory Lane. They lived in the large white house (The Post Office) on the corner of Rectory Lane, and Mrs.Taylor was the sub-postmistress for over 30 years. In 1922 two local lads were apprenticed to the Taylors namely, Eddie Cogman and Bertie Woolnough but they left in 1934 to form a partnership still trading in 2010. In later years Henry's son Cecil carried on as the blacksmith and son Frank continued with the carpentry side of the business until 1939. The business declined and an apprentice, Frank Edmunds, moved the smithy to a site in Rectory Lane.
An early invoice for church tower restoration 1891. Click here
1905 and this picture shows Henry and Hannah Taylor with 12 of their 14 children.
Back Row L-R; Gertrude(May), Bertie, Edith, Reggie, Florence.
Middle Row; Cecil, Frank, Hannah, Henry, Geoffrey, Ralph.
Front Row; Dorothy, Molly, Archie and Nellie the dog.
(Pic.Mary Mallett neé Taylor).
Invoice to Mr. Herbert 'Finnie' Burrows
from Henry Taylor for funeral services.
(Pic. Anne Barber).
The Forge in 1904 with Cecil in charge. (PicMary Mallett).
L-R; Frank Taylor, Lenny Chapman, Molly Taylor and Cecil Taylor.
The carpenters shop in 1908.
L-R; Lenny Chapman, Wheeler Taylor (no relation), Frank Taylor and Cecil Taylor.
A scene in the yard 1910.
1910 and this scene shows family members with unknown villagers.
L-R; Florence, Hannah, Henry, ?????, Frank, ?????Cecil, ?????, Wheeler Taylor.
1910. Another general scene of the forge.
1910, and yet another 'pose'. This workshop proved a great hit with the photographers of the day !! (all Pics. Mary Mallett).
1937 the newspaper report of Hannah and Henry's diamond wedding.