The Play2Train Open Content Alliance (POCA), represents collaborative efforts to build a permanent self-sustaining repository of open source virtual learning environments for emergency preparedness, including their content and applications. You can participate in POCA either as a subject matter expert or a content developer.
Subject matter experts
- Are you an emergency preparedness expert (medical, nursing or mental health) interested in using virtual environments to enhance learning and competency evaluation?
- Are you finding it difficult to illustrate to the "powers that be" how preparedness training in virtual worlds work?
- Are you just curious and want to experiment with a prototypical class before diving in?
- Are you more interested in researching "Learning" in virtual worlds rather their construction?
- Are you planning to work on a proposal to advance the state of the science and are trying to establish pilot study data using an early prototype of your teaching methodology?
- Are you interested in teaching/researching/prototyping a course that YOU think is relevant to emergency preparedness? Do not hesitate to get in touch with us to discuss the issue further.
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you will find it valuable to join the Play2Train Open Content Alliance.
Information requested by POCA from each prospective participant
Once you express an interest to participate, you will be invited to submit an executive summary of your proposed activities in Play2Train. This should include the following information:
- Purpose for joining POCA: Mention if it is for research or educational
- Name of organization, Name of person responsible for project, Address and contact info
- Description of any expertise in environment within team (number of people at newbie level or expert level or number of years in SL etc)
- Project title
- A brief statement of your research/teaching goals/objectives of courses or research relevant to emergency preparedness stating areas of emphasis that include medical, nursing and mental health fields of study (250 words max.)
- Start and End dates and Duration of training/research (not to exceed one semester/6 month)
- If starting date deadline is missed, the proposal will be re-evaluated
- Anticipated number of training/research hours per week on island – to allow for maximum occupancy, optimum community planning and scheduling
- Number of students/participants expected (max. 50 per sim)
- A brief statement of your teaching/research plan (500 words max)
- List of specific activities in Play2Train
- List of additional virtual objects required. Please see list of infrastructure already available. We will develop additional infrastructure based on your request and if it is relevant to the educational goals of your proposal
If your proposal is accepted, you will have immediate accesss to our virtual training environment and the services we provide. We will do our best to accomodate as many training sessions as possible so that resources are used effectively and user experience is optimal for ALL participants.
Second Life ™ content developers
If you are a content developer in Second Life ™ and are interested in joining our team of content developers, please contact us (ramlrame_at_isu.edu) with a your name, contact info, description of what you activity(ies) you would like to volunteer in and any related experience or short bio. Participating in the POCA community will provide you access to a network of experienced developers and a potentially large future consumer base.