As reading support teachers at Platte River Academy, we supplement and extend classroom teaching. We work collaboratively with classroom teachers to implement a quality reading program that is research-based and meets the needs of students. We pre-teach and re-teach the Open Court curriculum in grades 1-3.
We provide systematic and explicit instruction in the Five Essential Components of Reading :
- PHONEMIC AWARENESS—The knowledge and manipulation of sounds in spoken words.
- PHONICS—The relationship between written and spoken letters and sounds.
- READING FLUENCY—The ability to read with accuracy, and with appropriate rate, expression, and phrasing.
- VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT—The knowledge of words, their definitions, and context.
- READING COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES—The understanding of meaning in text.