The novel Animal Farm is an allegory for the Russian Revolution. The events and characters symbolize actual people and events in history. You will be doing research about the Russian Revolution so you will have a better understanding of the Russian Revolution.
Instructions: Visit the listed websites and use the information to help you answer the questions for each section.
Part 1 George Orwell
Use the following site to find information about Animal Farm's author George Orwell.
1. What is an allegory?
2. What is George Orwell's real name? Why do you think he changed his name?
3. What was the name of the first book he published?
4. In what year was Animal Farm published?
Part II: Nichlas II
Use the following pages to find information about Tsar Nicholas II. Answer the questions that follow.
5. What is democracy? How did Nicholas II feel about democracy?
6. What were working conditions in Russia like with Nicholas II as a leader?
7. What was Bloody Sunday? Why might this be significant?
8. Was Nichlas II an effective or poor leader? Explain.
Part III: Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky, and Communism
Use the following pages to answer questions about these men and Communism.
History/Biography of Karl Marx:
A famous quote from Marx:
An explanation of Communism
9. Karl Marx said what about religion? Why might this be significant?
10. Marx helped to write The Communist Manifest, which stated that all men were born free but society had got to such a state that the majority were _______________. What does this mean?
11. Marx had ten points. Name two:
12. Write out the famous quote from Marx. Explain the quote.
13. What is the phrase that explains Communism in a "nutshell"? What does it mean?
14. According to the site (and common sense), Communism would probably function well if humans did not have the unfortunate tendency toward _______________.
15. Leon Trotsky wanted to improve life in Russia; he used his pen to oppose what leader? Why or why not was Trotsky effective?
16. Who ordered Trotsky's assassination? Why?
Part IV: Joseph Stalin
Stalin & Propaganda (Scroll down to 4)
17. What title was Stalin given in 1922?
18. By the late 1920's what was his role? What does this suggest about the nature of power?
19. What happened in the 1920's during the Great Terror or Great Purge?
20. What did children learn about Stalin from their mothers?
21. What are some of the forms of propaganda that Stalin employed?
22. Stalin used a secret police force to force support of him and to kill the disobedient. We in recent years, think of the KGB but what four letter acronym were they called in his time?