Problem 1: Turnover problem: all seniors = leaves no underclassmen behind to continue the team
- Be sure that seniors spend time with underclassmen to develop them as players (skills, knowledge of the game).
- Make it a point to recruit underclassmen
Problem 2: When seniors graduate, underclassmen don't know how to run a team
Ways to recruit:
- Have the team elect (in addition to a captain) a President and Vice President whose roles are to focus on team longevity/development.
- Elect a 'Junior Captain' (as Hampton does)
- Invite a younger player (future leader) to captain's meeting to see how things are.
- Delegate jobs to younger guys (fill out a roster, schedule/reschedule a game, run a practice, run a MS clinic) to teach leadership skills.
- Advertising: Flyers, morning announcements, facebook group (NEW BOYS FLYERS AT BOTTOM OF PAGE)
- Finding students who play other (fall/winter) sports (or who got cut from their sport)
- Holding a demonstration at a pep rally or gym class.
- "Advertising" at other clubs (band, scouts, etc.)
- Some schools have “Club Week” nights or weeks where clubs can set up a table to recruit members.
- Display/wear cool jerseys to entice people to join --works and gives the club more credibility.
- Posting team photos and action shots on a website or online shows others how awesome and intense ultimate can be....again, more credibility and interest to join the club. (Steve Scovilles photos from the PHUL Fall Tournament 2012)
- Have the current team do a gym demo (explain the game, then demonstrate) at a school pep rally or gym class.
- UseYouTube and other MULTIMEDIA to gain interest (example: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingUltimate)
- Get a leadership crew together (not just captains) to help remind, run, and intrigue people
- Get people excited and positive in order to keep them around
- Use/Get Ultimate as a gym/PE class rotation
- Attend a Middle School fair or event and have younger kids sign up to play the following year(s)
Feel free to use the posters and informational documents below to help inform and recruit new players!
- Team Facebook group (can post photos, etc.)
- Team website (google sites are free and easy to manage)
- Team mass texting app (Remind101 works well-- owner needs to be able to download an app)
- Old school phone chain (ex. have 4 main people who are in charge of contacting all players from a certain grade)
- Get on the morning announcements at school