Always observe the steps below when the following emergencies arise:
- ELECTRICAL/LIGHT FAILURE - Depending upon the severity of the emergency, building lighting may not provide sufficient illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. It is, therefore, advisable to have a flashlight and portable radios available for emergencies.
- ELEVATOR FAILURE - If you become trapped in an elevator, use the emergency phone to notify Security. When the receiver is picked up, it will automatically dial the Security Department.
- PLUMBING FAILURE/FLOODING - Cease all operations. DO NOT switch on lights or any electrical equipment: This could cause an explosion.
- STEAM LINE FAILURE - Vacate the area immediately.
- VENTILATION PROBLEM - If smoke is present, cease all operations and vacate the area.
Steps to Follow:
- In the event of a major utility failure occurring during regular working hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday), immediately notify Facilities at Ext. 0215 or call 276-732-2406.
- If the utility failure occurs after hours, weekends, or holidays, notify the office of Security at extension 0221 or 732-2801.
- When instructed to evacuate the building, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
- Individuals are designated to assist disabled individuals during an emergency. If the designated individual is not available, others MUST assist persons with disabilities in exiting the building! Do not use elevators in case of fire. Do not panic! Use stairways.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building(s). Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A Command Post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a CET Official.