What's Happening Now
Welcome to the 2014-2015 school year with the SHS Bands.
- Detailed Info re: Summer Band Workshops & Auxiliary Practicums
- Basic and Beginner Instrumental Students II - July 8th (CANCELED)
- Basic and Beginner Instrumental Students II - July 9th from 9am-12pm
- String and Orchestra Day Camp - July 15th & July 16th from 9am-12pm
- Auxiliary Practicums - July 15th & July 16th from 6pm-8pm
- Percussion - July 22nd & July 23rd from 9am-12pm
- Auxiliary Practicums - July 22nd & July 23rd from 6pm-8pm
- Marching Band - July 29th & July 30th from 9am-12pm
- Auxiliary Practicums - July 29th & July 30th from 6pm-8pm
We have set the standard for other high school bands in our area to emulate and have rapidly become a widely recognized group of musicians. Our highly competitive demeanor sets us apart from other bands we have competed against, which has resulted in numerous personal requests for us to perform at various events locally and abroad. Our band is truly remarkable and our contribution to the community demonstrates how leadership, hard work, dedication, and discipline set the pace for other bands to follow.
The Surrattsville High School (SHS) Marching Hornets, under the direction of Mrs. Valerie C. Dent, is the first high stepping Marching Band in the history of the school. Beginning in 1997 with only 55 members, today we have grown to over 125 enthusiastic members. Our uniforms are our school colors, consisting of solid green pants and jackets accented with white stripes and gold trimming. Our ever growing percussion section has a sound that surpasses any other drum line in the area. Within the instrumentalists, the band is also comprised of the Auxiliary (i.e. the Jade Elegance Banners, the Emerald Essence Dancers, and the Flaming Foxy Flags).
HBCU Marching Bands