Sign the GetEQUAL Petition here.
A message from Carol Ann, Laura, and Kimberly Stutte...October 8, 2010
"WOW!!! Today was the 1st time that I have had a chance to really go to the Maryville PFLAG site. It gave me such a wide variety of mixed emotions, from heartache of seeing the pictures that were once our home - to my heart rejoicing to see the out pouring of love and support! Last night...the 3 of us having the chance to meet so many wonderful people, with such love and determination in their hearts was exactly the boost that we were needing.
Yesterday morning I was told that we had to move again. So...for the 4th time in a month we would need to find another place and we had 7 days to do so. I was crying not wanting to uproot my family again due to going thru a time like this stability is very important and needed for healing and we have not had that. But then...last night, how wonderful, it was just the boost that we needed to get thru the next few days. Thank you Becky for providing us that opportunity and we want everyone to know what last night did as far as the needed strength to continue on!"
(I just want to say I am honored and humbled by the generous outpouring of support that we have witnessed in this community. Many people and organizations joined together to make a difference in the community by standing up to hate. We have sent a message to East TN--hate will not be tolerated here!
Thank you: PFLAG Maryville supporters, PFLAG Knoxville, PFLAG Oak Ridge, Metropolitan Community Church, TN Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, Foothills Unitarian Universalist Church, Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church, We Believe Fellowship Church, God's Remnant's Ministry, TN Equality Project, TN Transgender Political Coalition, Knoxville Pridefest, Knoxville Human Rights Group, Southland Books, One 4 All Magazine, Kurt's Bar, Maryville College Gay Straight Alliance, and East TN Equality Council.
Becky Lucas, PFLAG Maryville-President)
Our October PFLAG Maryville meeting/potluck is Thursday, October 7!
Hope to see all the wonderful people who have supported PFLAG Maryville and the Stuttes. Bring a favorite dish, your family, and your friends. (If you have firewood, you can bring that, too--email me and let me know.)
Link to Maryville College Map (McArthur Pavilion is #14 on the map, behind Cooper Athletic Center)
PFLAG Maryville, President
Thursday, Oct. 7
6:30 pm @ McArthur Pavilion
Potluck--bring a dish to share
Music, Kid Activities, Fellowship (bring a blanket or chair)
Plans are underway to honor and celebrate the Stuttes at the October PFLAG Maryville/Maryville College GSA meeting on Thurs., Oct. 7, 6:30 pm at McArthur Pavilion on the campus at Maryville College. Bring the love (and a dish)! Donations are still being accepted at the sites below. Thanks to all who have helped send a message of love to this community and to the world.
Members of PFLAG Maryville, PFLAG Knoxville, TTPC, and TEP hosted the Stutte family last night! They are an amazing family who will survive this terrible event. I've updated the "immediate needs" list below. Please check it out! This family will continue to ride the rollercoaster of emotions. Help us help them by continuing to spread the word, contact legislators, write letters to the editor, contact your friends in the national media, post encouragement and love to the Facebook page (We Support the Stutte family!). Stay posted people! Together we CAN make a difference.
The Stuttes have identified the following immediate needs:
- Home improvement gift cards (Lowes, Home Depot)
- Landscaping/Garden Center gift cards
- Thank you notes
- Cleaning supplies, paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates)
- Storage tubs
- First aid kit
- Large storage unit
- Hiking boots (size 6 and size 8)
- School supplies for daughter attending college
- Printer for donated laptop
- Larger storage unit
- Gift cards for food and gas
- Women's clothing size 10 and size 16
- Women's clothing for college-aged daughter size 18
- Women's shoes size 6, 8, and 9
- Toiletries (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo...)
- Dog food for 3 dogs (Purina Dog Chow)
- Women's scrubs size small in both top and bottom (Navy Blue along with other styles/color)
**In Maryville: Items can be dropped off (or mailed, if you include STUTTE DONATION on package) at Southland Books, 801 East Broadway, Maryville, TN 37804, Mon-Sat, 10 am-6 pm**
**In Knoxville: Items can be dropped off at Rainbow Club West, 7211 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN
Mon-Sun, 5 pm-3 am**
Sept. 10, 2010--David Massey Email
Please forward this email to your friends and networks.
The two-story home of a lesbian couple in Vonore, TN, was completely destroyed by fire this past Saturday evening, and there is little doubt that it was arson. The word "Queers" was painted in large letters on the side of the garage. WATE covered the story; go to www.wate.com.
Efforts are underway to support the couple, Carol Ann and Laura Stutte, and their adult daughter.
First, the newly formed Maryville chapter of PFLAG (Parents Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays) will be gathering needed clothing and household items.
Second, the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church is collecting financial donations. Please make your check payable to TVUUC and write "Vonore Family Fund" in the memo line. Send the check to Vonore Family Fund, c/o TVUUC, 2931 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919. This fund starts off with a $250 donation from the Knoxville Area chapter of PFLAG. Please include your email address so we can let you know how much money was raised.
Third, we want to be sure that the arson investigation is not swept under the rug, and there is reason to believe that it could be. If you know a Tennessee state representative or senator, please call that legislator and urge him or her to contact the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and express interest in the arson investigation at 2715 Highway 360, Vonore, TN 37885.
Fourth, join the campaign to write a letter to your local newspaper... or post messages on media websites ... expressing your outrage at such hate crimes in the state.
Stay tuned for a possible "gathering of support" for this family.
- Lesbian couple's Vonore home burns; arson suspected
- The Daily Times article by Chloé Morrison
- Lesbian couple in Vonore feels house fire is hate crime
- WATE 6 newstory by Josh Ault
- Lesbian Couple Burned Out of Home. You Can Help!
- Knoxville Pridefest Blog, letter from David Massey posted by Carla Lewis
- Facebook links:
- Leave words of encouragement and love for the Stuttes. Find We Support the Stutte family! on Facebook. (
91 members in less than 24 hours! 139 154 171 196 234 451 494 1054 12291358 members now)
- Carol Ann and Laura Stutte Fund Update
- PFLAG Maryville
- Check out the blog post and comments at Pam's House Blend
- Box Turtle Bulletin blogs about this story. Leave a comment.
- WBIR Channel 10 is working on a story. Comments are already showing up. Read them here
- News article at Knoxville News Sentinel
- Check out Steve Williams' blog at Care2 make a difference
- LGBTQNation covers the story
- A copy of the WATE 6 story is posted at Gossip Rocks
- Savage Love blogger, Dan Savage, links to Knoxville Pridefest. You'll need to scroll down to find the comments.
- Latest on WATE 6 re: Donations for couple who lost home in alleged hate crime
- 9.13 video posted on WBIR 10: FBI investigating Monroe Co. fire as possible hate crime
- At DallasVoice.com: Donations needed for Tenn. lesbian couple who lost their home in possible anti-gay arson
- Tenn. Lesbian Couple Burned Out of Home by Kilian Melloy posted on edgeboston.com
- Thank you Kate Nelson from OutCentral Cultural Center in Nashville! Check out the Facebook note.
- Vonore Arson Victims Get Global Support--Metro Pulse
- Donations needed for lesbian couple burned out of Tennessee home--San Diego Gay and Lesbian News
- E. Tennessee couple victims of possible hate crime--Out and About Newspaper
- From "HRC Back Story," Lesbians' Home Burned Down in Tennessee (I noticed that over 3900 HRC readers shared this story on Facebook!)
- On MSNBC.com: FBI Investigates House Fire As Hate Crime
- Lesbians’ Home Set On Fire, World Still Crazy, Mean--Autostraddle blog with comments
- ‘You don’t have to be afraid’: Gay support group PFLAG formed in Maryville by Amanda Greever with The Daily Times
- Some Speaking Out Against Hate by Ina Hughes
- Sept. 21 Knoxville News Sentinel Editorial Board article: Dousing the Shameful Flames of Intolerance
- A really cool article from Rose Kennedy at the Metro Pulse-Lesbian Couple Plans Life after Losing Home in Vonore to Suspected Arson/Hate Crime
- Lesbian Couples' Home Burned: Local PFLAG Chapter Offers Support at PFLAG National Blogroll