NC Essential Standards for 1st graders in Music
3rd 9 wks - FORM
Most if not all of this will be taught through movment activities
Apply the elements of music and musical techniques in order to sing and play music with accuracy and expression
- Apply changes in dynamics and tempo when singing and playing music.
- Interpret rhythm patterns that use iconic or standard notation for quarter notes, quarter rests and beamed eighth notes.
- Execute three-pitch songs with voice and/or instruments. (So - Mi and La or Mi Re Do)
- Interpret the sound and symbol systems of music. (read music)
- Use iconic symbols to notate quarter notes and quarter rests. (write rhythms)
- Use improvisation to create two-phrase melodies using three pitches.
- Select a variety of traditional and non-traditional sound sources to accompany readings, stories, or dramatizations. (to create TEXTURE)
- Create music using a variety of sound and notational sources.
- Use iconic notation to compose simple rhythm patterns consisting of quarter notes, beamed eighth notes, and quarter rest durations.
Essential Standard Clarifying Objectives
- Use corresponding movements or actions to respond to prominent music characteristics (such as patterns in rhythm, melodic contour, dynamics, and form) while listening to and/or singing music.
- Understand the interacting elements to respond to music and music performances.
- Recognize melodic patterns, rhythmic patterns, dynamics, and forms when presented aurally.
- Compare appropriate behaviors for different types of music performances (such as outdoor concerts, concerts with audience participation, vocal concerts, etc.).
- Classify timbre by pitched or unpitched instruments and sounds.
- Recognize how music is used in customs and traditions of various cultures.
- Understand global, interdisciplinary, and 21st century connections with music.
- Understand the relationships between music and concepts from other areas