Fall 2014 Research Stimulus Program
Request for Proposals
Awards are available to help individual researchers and research teams prepare and submit proposals for external funding. A total of $25,000
is available to be awarded; no individual award will be larger than $5,000.
Priority will be given to:
- Applications from individuals or research teams responding to a program announcement or with documented interest from a sponsor
- Applications that will support the development of proposals for amounts greater than $150,000 and include full indirect costs
- Applications from interdisciplinary research groups
- Applications that support university-wide initiatives (Early Childhood and STEM Education, Sustainability, Public Health), strategic partnerships (PGE, OHSU, Intel, Technology Association of Oregon, City of Portland, Port of Portland, Greater Portland Inc., Multnomah County, Oregon Inc., Metro, OMSI), or diversity within PSU
- Proposals led by pre-tenure faculty
The following are examples of some of the kinds of activities Research and Strategic Partnerships hopes to support:
- Honorarium for a consultant or mentor (e.g. former grant reviewer) to review and comment on a proposal or research design
- Preliminary data collection to support a proposal
- Reimbursement for travel to consult with a foundation, corporation, or program officer about a proposal
- Support to hire a grant writer or student to help prepare a proposal
- Support for a meeting that would give a group of researchers an opportunity for collaborative grant writing that cannot be accomplished through Skype or other electronic means of collaboration
- Release time for a faculty member to write a proposal
These examples are not meant to be restrictive. Items that will not be supported by this initiative include:
- Books, journals, and articles
- Long-term personnel support
You are eligible if you are a PSU employee, appointed at 0.5 FTE or greater and ranked in one of the following categories:
- Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
- Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor
- Research Associate or Senior Research Associate
Submit proposal by email to Karin Wriggle (firstname.lastname@example.org
) in RSP by November 16, 2014
. Indicate "Research Stimulus Proposal" in the subject line. Proposals received after the deadline will not be considered.
The application should include the following information: Please use 12 pt font when filling out applications.
- Cover Sheet (Click here for a PDF of the cover sheet)
- Proposed project (5 pages maximum):
- 150 word abstract
- Project description
- Provide a budget and justification for how the researcher or research group intends to spend the research stimulus award (maximum $5,000).
- Timeline for expenditure of Research Stimulus Program funds (One calendar year is expected to be the typical project period. Extension beyond the timeline proposed requires extenuating circumstances and the approval of the Associate Vice President for Research.)
- 2-page CV of all investigators including relevant funded projects (include funding level and F&A rate associated with each award) and publications for past 3 years.
A committee comprised of faculty, deans, and RSP staff will review the proposals. Funds will be available January 1, 2015.
Research Stimulus Program proposal evaluation will be based on the following:
- Clarity of research focus, project description, and timeline.
- Funding target, anticipated budget, and F&A rate for submitted proposal.
- Multi-investigator, multi-disciplinary collaboration.
- Addresses university-wide initiative or strategic partnership.
- Project PI/team record of success.
- Leadership by pre-tenure, junior faculty.
If you have questions, please contact Karin Wriggle at email@example.com