Research and Strategic Partnerships announces the opportunity to apply for competitive awards to support the development of research proposals for external funding. The purpose of these awards is to help individual researchers and research teams prepare and submit a proposal for funding. $50,000 is available to be awarded; no individual award will be larger than $5,000.
Priority will be given to:
- Applications from individuals or research teams that have identified a program announcement to respond to or have a documented indication of interest from a sponsor
- Applications that will support the development of proposals for amounts greater than $150,000 and include full indirect costs
- Applications from research groups that are interdisciplinary and/or include non- PSU collaborators
- Applications that support university-wide initiatives (such as P-20/SUCCES, Sustainability, or Public Health), strategic partnerships (such as PGE, OHSU, and Intel), or diversity within PSU
The following are examples of some of the kinds of activities we hope to support:
- Honorarium for a consultant or mentor (e.g. former grant reviewer) to review and comment on a proposal or research design
- Reimbursement for travel to consult with a foundation, corporation or program officer about a proposal
- Support to hire a grant writer or student to help prepare a proposal
- Support for a meeting of a group of researchers who have an opportunity for collaborative grant writing
- Release time for a faculty member to write a proposal
- Preliminary data collection to support a proposal
These items are not meant to restrict proposals.
View the 2012 Awardees.
Items which will not be supported by this initiative:
- Books, journals, articles
- Long term personnel support
You are eligible if you are a PSU employee, appointed at .50 FTE or greater and ranked in one of the following categories:
- Assistant, Associate or Full Professor
- Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor
- Research Associate or Senior Research Associate
- Submit proposal by e-mail to Natalie Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in RSP by 8 AM on February 4, 2013.
- Indicate "Research Stimulus Program" in the subject line.
The application should include the following information (please use single spacing and 12 pt font):
1) Cover sheet: click here to download (pdf)
2) Proposed project (4 pages maximum):
- 150 word abstract
- Project description
- Provide a budget and justification for how the researcher or research group intends to spend the research stimulus award (maximum $5,000).
4) Timeline for expenditure of Research Stimulus Program funds:
- One calendar year is expected to be the typical project period.
5) 2-page CV of all investigators:
- Including relevant funded projects and publications for the past 3 years.
A committee comprised of faculty on the Research Advisory Council and RSP staff will review the proposals. Awards will be announced by March 15, 2013 and funds will be available immediately. Extension beyond the proposed timeline will require extenuating circumstances and the approval of the Dean and Associate Vice President for Research.
Research Stimulus Program proposal evaluation will be based on the following:
- Clarity of research focus, project description, and timeline
- Funding target and anticipated budget and F&A rate for submitted proposal
- Multi-investigator, multidisciplinary collaboration
- Addresses university-wide initiative or strategic partnership
- Project PI/team record and probability of success
- Leadership by junior faculty
If you have questions, please contact Mark Sytsma (email@example.com
, 5-2213) or Natalie Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org