Builders Club 2/08/17
Current Events & Fundraisers:
1. "Have a Heart & Help the Homeless" donations.
A. This would be the collection of personal care items for the 6th Street Shelter &
Mary's Shelter. The collection would run from Jan. 17th- Feb 2nd.
(A drop off box is located in the lobby by the front of the school.)
B. Create Care Packages (Feb 6th- 9th).
The Care Package would also include a Valentine stating
"Someone Cares about You" & be delivered before Valentine's Day.
2. Science Fair Bake Sale Feb 15th 6:-9 PM.
A. Sign Up Genus for needed items
B. Bake Sale Items bagged and price labeled (Monday & Tuesday during the day)
C .Workers for the night- 4 people
3. TeenWorks Grant- need presenters. Plan to present in March.
A. 8 presenters needed.
B. Power Point Presentation creators
(this is for grant money! $2000 for the McTrip & Sr. Social.)
1. Two presentations are needed.
C. Mrs. K will fill out the grant application and solidify the presentation date & time.
4. NEW Builders Club Remind App! Stay up to date with club activities!
* An email was sent home explaining the process as well as inviting your parents to take part in
the reminders :)
For more information on this App please click on the link https://www.remind.com
Parents will need to fill out this survey to consent to the App.
Here is the link:
Join the Remind App : OMS Builders Club 17
Up-Date on Past Events:
1. TeenWorks Banquet - January 28th Banquet.
It was an outstanding night! Builders Club was acknowledged for our continued community
service with the Ronald McDonald Houses and the Parkland Senior Citizens Social/Dance.
A. A special award was created in honor of former Builders Club Member Zach Kraus.
Mrs. K had the privilege to speak about Zach and the incredible impact he had with everyone he
encountered. Zach was a giver and wanted to help others in need, even though he had his own
health complications (to say the least.) He truly was a role model and an inspiration!
To be able to keep his legacy alive, we are extremely grateful to TeenWorks of the Greater
Lehigh Valley for making this award possible.
1. The recipient of first Annual Zach Kraus Award was former Builders Club Member &
Parkland Senior, Dana Emswiler. Dana is a very worthy young lady who is also making great
things happen in the community. Congratulations Dana!
2. Zach's mother and sister were in attendance for this fabulous award. They were so thankful for
honoring Zach & for keeping his spirit alive.
2. PJ Dress Down Day was a success raising over $180 toward the Have a Heart Help the Homeless
1. Money will be used to purchase needed personal care items for our Care Packages for
the 6th Street Shelter and Mary's Women's Shelter.
3. Spreading some Cheer to a Parkland Alumni in need.
1. Ken C created a fabulous drawling to showcase all of the success one can
accomplish with a quality education. "Education, the path to Success".
Thank you Ken; beautiful piece. I am sure Mr. George will love it!
4. Festive Friday (December's Dress Down Day)
1. We raised $154.82 towards the Make a Wish Foundation! Great Job!
2. Holiday Card Drive: Was a hit! OMS spread Winter Cheer for our Vets
& Seniors in our Community.
Still to Come:
1. Our Big Event this Year is the Ronald
McDonald Trip April 28th!
A. Planning for the McTrip
3.Who get's to go?
a. Only 10 students per house can attend (total 20 students plus some chaperones.)
b. Only healthy people can attend. If you suddenly become sick, you will not be able to join us.
This is because, we do not want to pass an illnesses on the families of sick children that we
will be serving. Therefore, there will be alternative students on a wait list incase this occurs.
B. Spring Activity end of March/beginning of April- Spending time with seniors in our community at
an assisted living home?
C. Miracle League in May or early June?
1. Have a Heart
Committee (3-4 people needed.)
A. Students with Flex to:
1. Help sort personal care items & create the Care Packages for the homeless.
2 Create Valentines Cards to accompany the care packages
2. Science Fair Bake Sale Feb. 15th
a. Workers (4 students)
b. Sign Up Genus for bake sale items
(will be on the OMS Builders Site soon!)
*** Everyone can help out with this! Sign up to bring in an item.
6. TeenWorks Presentations (March 7th)
a. Create a PowerPoint Presentation & Present for
(4 people needed.)
b. Create a PowerPoint Presentation & Present for Sr.Social
(4 people needed.)
* Mrs. K will help with the presentation creation as well as the
******If interested in the above activities, please email Mrs. Kakaley at firstname.lastname@example.org
or stop by room 157, by FCS to express your interest.
Thank you :)
Previous Years Events & Ideas:
Dress Down/Up Days
Festive Friday, Dec. 18th
OMS Live- Patrick
Sweet Holiday Cheer! Thursday, December 17th in the FSC Room 159
Permission slips due back this Friday
Sign Up Genius
Holiday Wrapping With Take a Stand Dec. 21st, after school.
See Mrs. Lundberg, rm 246 for a permission slip
Key Leadership Opportunity for 8th Graders
Senior Social June 4th
Teacher and PTO meeting to begin the organization process
Possible Event Ideas
Dress Down Days:
Jan- PJ Day
Feb- Fancy Friday 12th (Snow make-up day?)
Dinners for houses?? (Cooking event?)
2. Soda Tabs Collection
Raising $ for Ronald McDonald Houses
3. Lily’s Hope
Helping Local Families
4. Used Book Collection and Reading Event at less fortunate school
Mrs. Roberts said she would work with us. When?
5. Sodexo- Stopping Hunger Foundation
International Drive : Eliminate Fund helping UNICEF with supplying vaccinations to mothers around the world to eliminate neonatal tetanus. Shots cost $1.80.
State Project: Pennsylvania Early Childhood initiative
(See email sent from Kiwanis President Renee W.)