Parish Virtual - Health
- What is healthful Living?
- How do media, popular
culture, and family influences affect normative beliefs and attitudes on
health and well-being?
- How do decision making
communication and goal setting skills impact positive health outcomes?
- The benefits of early
detection. Health screenings,
check-ups, and self-examination
- Developing good habits to
reduce factors that contribute to chronic disease.
- What are the potential
health and social consequences of popular fads or trends (body piercing
- What are good practices
to reduce infectious disease transmission? including frequent hand
washing, vaccinations, avoidance of direct contact with another person or
- What resources are available?
2. Mental Health:Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- What is Normal Anyway?
- Stress – causes,
- Anxiety – causes,
- Depression – causes,
- Eating Disorders
- Other mental illnesses
3. Exercise andFitness
- What are the primary
benefits of exercise?
- Safety techniques
- Evaluate specific
- Effects of hydration
- Effects of climate
- Personal Weight
- Goal specific vs general
- Resources in the community
- What constitutes good
- Balance and number of
- Healthy beverage vs.
- Vitamins and supplements
or they necessary? (ex: Folic Acid)
- Vegetarian diet and
- What are the consequences
of a poor diet?
- How do I eat to lose
- How do I eat to gain good
- Do fad diets work?
- Evaluate diet plans
- Meeting specific dietary
needs; training, pregnancy, food
allergies, and diabetes
The realities of sex:
- It is ubiquitous but what do you really know?
- How do the media misrepresent sex?
- It is a normal biologic drive and desire
- Do you know your anatomy?
- Do you know where babies come from?
- Do you really know everything?
- Sex has real Consequences
- Pregnancy and Birth Control
- STD's and protecting yourself
- The Psychology of Sex
- It is intimate and requires an emotional maturity
- How do you know you are ready?
- Handling Peer Pressure
- The principles of healthy dating
How do power and control undermine healthy relationships
What does Healthy Dating Look like?
What is date rape (acquaintance rape)?
6. Substance Use: Drugs and Alcohol
- The reality about drugs: They are ubiquitous
- General classification of drugs
- Effects of specific drugs (Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, Steroids, and ???)
- Impact of drugs and alcohol on society
- How do media portray drug use?
- Why do people use illicit drugs?
- Economic and Health Impact of Smoking
- What are the dangers of misuse of prescription drugs?
- Binge drinking
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome