Homework for February 4-8
- Watch the photosynthesis videos 2-5 below - work on your note packets while watching
- Prepare for Big Photosynthesis Quiz -
Homework February 2-3
- Watch the first photosynthesis video, "overview" (see below)
- Then go to this page (Photosynthesis Lab) and follow the instructions. Complete pre-lab items 1- 6 and brainstorm #7. (turn in #1-6 via google document.)
- Complete: Photosynthesis Preview homework.
- Prepare for a discussion on photosynthesis next class.
Homework January 29-31
- Go to this page ENZYME LAB follow the instructions and complete Pre-lab items 1-7. (Turn in via google document)
- Finish the homework assignment "Metabolism" - found in your google drive
- Watch the video below on ATP
- Prepare for a quiz on Friday "Intro to Metabolism, Enzymes and ATP" - based on the first three videos
Homework January 21-24
- Watch the two videos below
- Take notes in your new note packets.
- Optional - Complete any test corrections - your re-test will be found in your google drive- Give the correct answer with a rationale to show understanding to recover .33pts/question. You may use any resource you'd like except for another person. (please just write in the shared google doc )
An Introduction to Metabolism
Homework for Sept 29-30
Homework for Sept. 25-27
- Preview Cellular Respiration and Fermentation with your note packets and the videos found below
- Complete the Respiration/Fermentation Preview assignment (shared google document). - follow the included instructions - this does not have to all be completely finished but get a good start on it.
| Essential Questions:
- How are materials moved into and out of cells to maintain homeostasis?
- How does free energy organize life?
- How is energy stored in living systems?
- How is energy transferred within and between living systems?
- How are energy transfers facilitated in living systems?
- How do cells modify and control metabolic activities?
- How is sunlight energy captured and converted into chemical bond energy.
- How is chemical bond energy of fuel molecules release in manageable amounts and forms?
- Describe passive and active transports across the cell membrane.
- Discuss how relative concentration gradients and water potential play a role in transport across selectively permeable membranes
- Describe how energy is stored and released from chemical bonds.
- Define the laws of thermodynamics and discuss how they apply within living cells.
- Define free energy and discuss how life depends on the availability of free energy.
- Illustrated the ATP / ADP + P + energy cycle.
- Discuss energy coupling.
- Explain the function and limitations of enzymes.
- Highlight the relationship between the structure of the enzyme and its functioning.
- Discuss metabolic control. (feedback)
- Emphasize plant and other photosynthetic organisms’ role in the overall energy systems of living things on earth.
- Explain the processes of photosynthesis in detail. Relating the processes to the previous discussion on energy.
- Explain chemiosmosis in detail. How do the structures and properties of membranes play a role in this process?
- Illustrate the cyclic nature and interdependence of these processes.
- Discuss and illustrate alternative pathways for carbon fixation in plants.
- Describe fermentation and respiration in detail.
- Relate the processes of respiration to photosynthesis.
- Discuss the role of these energy releasing pathways to the interdependence of organisms.
- Highlight the role enzymes and membranes, free energy, and properties of water play in these processes.
|Activities, Readings and Viewings:
- Read Campbell chapters 6, 10, and 9
- Video Tutorials
- Diffusion/Osmosis Lab
- Enzyme Lab
- Photosynthesis Lab I
- Photosynthesis Lab II
- Fermentation Lab
- Respiration Lab