- U.S. State Department Country Reports: Background Notes on each country discuss various facets of the nation and its people including its economy, history, government, and security issues. The site gives many statistics for each topic it addresses but it does not include cites to additional articles and resources. An example report, for Afghanistan, is here.
- Europa World Plus: Includes political and economic information on more than 250 countries and territories. You can find information tied to one particular country or you can compare regions by using Europa's "comparative statistics" link. Europa reports include bibliographies, so they can be an excellent way to find books, articles and other sources.
- Library of Congress Country Studies & Country Profiles: Country Studies are lengthy reports on a nation's people, resources and government published by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Army. As the intent of the series' sponsor was to focus primarily on lesser-known areas of the world or regions in which U.S. forces might be deployed, not all countries have a report. These studies were originally published as print volumes between 1988 and 1998; a study's title page will give you the date it was released. Some studies, like this one on Afghanistan, have been recently updated. The site also allows you to run keyword searches across one, or several, different countries.
- Population Index: Population Index is the primary reference tool to the world's population literature. It presents an annotated bibliography of recently published books, journal articles, working papers, and other materials on population topics. This website provides a searchable and browsable database containing 46,035 abstracts of demographic literature published in Population Index in the period 1986-2000.
- ProQuest Statistical Insight: Search across numerous statistical compilations by keyword and use the left frame to narrow down the results you find by country, subject, data gathering agency, and more.