Established in 2007 through a partnership with the Corporation for National and Community Service, the ORCC AmeriCorps VISTA program enables colleges and universities to address issues facing low-income communities through high quality service-learning and community service programs that empower students to be change agents in their communities. VISTA members are placed on campuses to develop service-learning programs, build relationships and partnerships between their institution and the surrounding community, manage service-related events, coordinate programs that engage students in community service, and increase the level of civic engagement on their campuses.
- Cultivate partnerships with community-based organizations that address the needs of low-income individuals.
- Work with faculty and staff to create and coordinate service-learning courses.
- Plan and implement campus service days.
- Conduct presentations and meetings with faculty, students, and community members to increase awareness of service-learning and community engagement.
- Recruit, train, and place student volunteers.
- Provide leadership development, training, support, and reflection activities for student volunteers.
- Build the capacity for campuses to create sustainable service programming and partnerships that address poverty.
- Develop service-learning programs.
- Build relationships and partnerships between their institution and the surrounding community.
- Implement campus-wide service days.
- Coordinate programs that engage students in community service.
- Increase the level of civic engagement on campuses.