Cesar Harada : Design the mechanics of the hull
== Oil group ==
Francois de la Taste : define test matrix for different oil cleaning equipment. Order test materials, build experimental setups.
From a standard 12V hacked cordless drill =>
1/ Know your battery. Define the specs of the batt. (V, A, Peak, Duty cycle ...)
2/ Know your motor. RPM and Torque f V, A ...
We need to know our current motor to project for future part order (more efficient motors / batteries)
1/ Establish good 2 way communication between "base" and "embed" Xbees.
2/ Control speed, direction and torque of 2 motors. Reduce response time to minimum.
3/ Control the approximate position of the motor (feedback).
4/ Log movement data so we can replicate experiments.
5/ Either use keyboard / hacked RC command to control the Xbee sailing robot.
1/ choose a hull design that is modular and that we can adjust (weight, shape, motors, payload).
2/ Mechanical system should be robust and have a short response time using the motors chosen by the electric team for better maneuverability and minimum response delay.
1/ Define the test matrix that is required, and design the tests (environment, material, process, etc.)
Assignments for 11th July to 15th July
1. Design and get insulative tube for power cables and sensor signal cables
2. Design the layout of the electronics components and find the appropriate water proof box to encapsulate them.
3. Get the control code running
1. Finishing test model for cable actuation
2. Order the appropriate lead screw and nut for actuation
3. Get longer Bowden cables (> 2m)
4. Mechanical design for winch box
5. reinforce the sail
6. design the size and weight of the keel and the ballast.
We took apart an inexpensive cordless drill to find a high amperage (10A, up to 80A stalled) DC motor.
Control system schematic
1. Configuration of the two XBee.
We use a Coordinator----End device communication pattern, which means one of the XBee is configured as coordinator of the wireless network and the other is configured as the end device.
For this simple communication pattern, the above configuration is enough.
2. Xbee Range Tests: reliable tx/rx <150 m outdoors, <80m indoors
3. Global electronic layout (original Illustrator source file in attachment) :