Piem, Peter, Cesar, Gabby, Kasia, Ru, Aurelie, Etienne
Piem : IMTECH :
About collecting plastic from the oceans. Imares, Wageningen University, IHC and Hogeschool Rotterdam.
nice, and very open. Bottom line: they are looking into the possibility
to collaboratively research to Open Source develop a plastic cleaning
It was a first
exploratory meeting, but the right mindset was there: imagine these
companies considering Open Hardware themselves! They are pioneering in
their field and we can be part of it (and benefit from the results)
are also business/economic guys involved, which is very usefull to make
it into the 'real' life business situation. They were thinking about
cashflows: maybe start with designing a vessel that can harvest floating
algae (food) and then redesign into plastic collectors when
Cesar mentions previous research in the field. http://www.flickr.com/photos/worldworldworld/4484191870/in/photostream/
Larger discussion : http://lifeboat.com/blog/2012/03/floating-prairies-of-the-sea-could-help-solve-global-warming
Keen : There's been a lot of discussion recently of using marine algae
for fuel production instead of diverting arable land to the purpose when
it could be growing food. Some serious people think it is the next big
thing in that area.
Waag Society, PhDO program
Piem presented Protei to a group of PhD Students and got great feedback.
>> Follow up on what’s coming for these students - with Etienne Perhaps ?
Kasia, Aurelie and Cesar working on it.
Our partner price being too high, we’re going to DIT (Do it together).
So, there will be a need for Drupal wizards to the resuce soon.
Blue Ocean film Festival
Toni has sent me the film to submit / edit / work on.
>> Cesar works on the material Toni sent and sends it to Ru before submission.
Protei has been nominated through Cesar.
>> Cesar will run the application with Ru.
>> Recommandations will be required to move forward.
competition being taken care by Gabrielle Levine
Taken care of by Kasia Molga
Open_Sailing -> Open_H20
Cesar Proposed name of the org to be changed from Open_Sailing to Open-H2O.
- Open_Sailing will eventually do more than sailing technologies.
- Open_Sailing may be too much of a leisure related name and attract more leisure oriented people VS Open-H2o is geared more towards sciences.
- We want to invite other groups such as OpenROV to work with us, and they are not sailing technologies. The larger idea is to broaden the governance of Open Hardware expansion as best practice for Ocean Sciences.
- Open-H20 would be a place where a new Open Hardware Maritime licence is distributed and updated for our community project, but also like creative commons to help other people doing ocean technology to licence their work under Open Hardware.
- Open_Sailing is a well established brand. We might loose our audience / follower changing name.
The group discusses a number of alternative names without success :
- OpenOceanHardware.com / org / net / cc
- ooh.com / org / net / cc
- Openwater.com / org / net / cc
- Open_Oceans.com / org / net / cc
- Open_Ocean.com / org / net / cc
Cesar@Peter : Open_Sailing could also become a sub-group in fact - of sailing technologies under the Open-H2o umbrella
After voting the decision taken is
- Open_Sailing becomes Open-H2o. We are now officially Open-H2o !!!!
- Open_Sailing keeps existing under the Open-H2o Umbrella as a sub-group of research about sailing technologies.
Protei legal affairs
- TradeMark : done !
- Patent pending : needs to be done
- C-corp : will register this week
- Non Profit : will register this week.