OEMS Home‎ > ‎Parent Information‎ > ‎

McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance


Through the McKinney-Vento Act children who are homeless have certain rights and protections to enable them to continue with their education while homeless. If your family lives in any of the following situations, you may qualify for rights provided by McKinney-Vento:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Through McKinney-Vento, your children have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education including preschool education provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school your children attended—or the school they last attended— before you became homeless, if that is your choice and if feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation to the school they attended —or the school they last attended— before your family became homeless, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve any dispute over enrolling your children.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.

Need Assistance?

  • Contact Kristin Soderback, District Liaison,  at 360-978-4111 or ksoderback@onysd.wednet.edu
  • Contact Melinda Dyer, State Coordinator, at 360-725-6505 or melinda.dyer@k12.wa.us
  • Call the National Center for Homeless Education at the toll-free Help Line number: 1-800-308-2145

Online Resources

WA Apple Health for Kids: Free or low-cost health care for kids. A family of four with an income up to $4,417 a month may be eligible.

Lewis County Housing AuthorityA variety of support services for people experiencing homelessness or assistance with housing.

National Center for Homeless Education: Supporting the education of children and youth experiencing homelessness.

Resource Guide for Relatives as Parents: Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.

Washington Basic Food Program: Help for low-income individuals and families to obtain a more nutritious diet by supplementing their income with basic food benefits.

Washington State Dept. of Early Learning: You may qualify for short-term free child care.

Washington State 2-1-1 Network: 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember phone number for people to call for health and human service information and referrals and other assistance to meet their needs.  You can call 2-1-1 for information on "Safe Parking" for those of you forced to live in your car. Local area churches are opening their parking lots for you and providing volunteer patrols for your safety overnight.  Please call 2-1-1 for more information.

Kristin Soderback,
Feb 15, 2018, 10:02 PM
Kristin Soderback,
Feb 15, 2018, 10:02 PM