EMPLOYMENT AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
You may come into the YMCA to pick up a community service application.
2020 Lifeguard Job Description:
OKMULGEE COUNTY FAMILY YMCA
Job Title: Lifeguard FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Aquatic Supervisor or Program Director
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
2. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
3. Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
4. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
5. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
6. Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
7. Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
8. Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
9. Attends all staff meetings and training as required.
YMCA Competencies (Leader)
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths
and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
1. Minimum age of 16
2. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
3. Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding and obtain YMCA Lifeguarding Certification within 60 days of hire.
4. Oxygen Administration certification (required within 30 days of hire)
5. Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
6. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
1. Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
2. Must be able to remain alert.
3. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
4. Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
5. Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
6. Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
7. Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.