2016-17 Student Poetry Contests
SUBMISSION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED. Stay tuned to the OPA website for updates on the contest winners.
The Ohio Poetry Association (OPA) is sponsoring its annual high school poetry contest, offering prizes and publication to winners in ten categories. A grand prize winner will be published in Common Threads, OPA’s poetry journal. Ten winning poems will be sent on to the Manningham Trust Student Poetry Contest sponsored by the National Federation of State Poetry Societies.
The OPA contest is open to any student in grades 9–12 in public schools, private and faith-based schools, and home-schooled students in Ohio. There is no entry fee. Rules are set out below. To avoid being disqualified, all guidelines must be followed. A contest flyer is also available for download at the bottom of the page.
CATEGORIES & SPONSORS
- Voices from the Past – a persona poem in any style in the voice of someone or something from history or prehistory, e.g. person/animal/artifact. Sponsor: Mark Hersman
- David Francis Smith Award – a poem in any form on any subject. Sponsor: David Francis Smith
- Ekphrastic Ohio – Choose a work of art from any museum in Ohio, and write a poem in response to that work. At the bottom of your page note the name of the work of art, the artist, and the museum where you viewed it. 30 line limit. Sponsors: The Pentapoets
- Humor – a poem that makes us laugh–amusing, humorous, funny (but clean enough to print) in any form. Limit 30 lines. Sponsor: Pat Snyder Hurley
- Nature – a poem in any form, 30 or fewer lines, about the relationship between humans and nature, either negative or positive. Sponsor: Robin Mullet
- A Sense of Place – a poem that captures a memorable landscape, cityscape, seascape, building, or interior. Any form. Sponsor: William R. Reyer
- Family Matters – free verse poem on the title subject. Limit 30 lines. Sponsor: Teresa Santmyer
- Fantasy & Imagination – What is not true but you wish it were true. 30 line limit; any form. Sponsor: The Springfield Writers Club
- Combinations – Write a poem in response to one or a combination of two or a combination of all three of the following topics: (1) “What I know,” and/or (2) “What I don’t know,” and/or (3) “if I were a…” In choosing a title for your poem, make sure it reflects your choice of writing on one topic or a combination of two or all three topics. Sponsors: Anna Soter & Sandra Feen
PRIZES & PUBLICATION
Awards for each category are $25, $15, and $10, with the possibility of honorable mentions. All judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if entries do not meet the category and/or judge’s requirements. Award winners will be published in a chapbook. Chapbooks for award-winning students will be sent to each school.
MAIL ALL POETRY SUBMISSIONS TO:
Fish Mooney, OPA Student Contests
86545 Cramblett Road
Scio, Ohio 43988
inquiries or questions send an email to: email@example.com