Based on the work developed here. This is the completed charter posted to the list 2008 07 21
In conformance with http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2008-02-05.php#formation
TC formation proposal.
1a. NameOASIS ODF Interoperability and Conformance (IIC) TC
1b. Statement of Purpose
The ODF community has recognised interoperability and interpretation
of the ODF specification as an issue. This TC is chartered to address
interoperability of ODF implementations. Usage as per http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/2489/186491/186605/AnnexI.html
1c. Scope of Work
The TC produces conformance and interoperability specification for the ODF specification. The TC will not produce such software. Work will
focus on the most recent Oasis ODF standard, reviewing later releases as appropriate.
This work will deliver on the following:
* A test specification for ODF
* An interoperability specification for ODF
Other related work in this area is recognised.
1d. List of Deliverables
- Produce a report on the current state of ODF implementation interoperability; strengths, weaknesses and recommendations for future improvement.
- Research best practices on profiles and produce a report on ODF Profiles.
- Produce an "ODF Conformance Test Requirements" document detailing how each atomic item in the standard is to be tested for conformance of an ODF document and of an ODF application to the ODF standard.
- A definition of a normalized/canonical ODF instance used to support a comparison tool.
- To consider and provide, if applicable, relative priorities to tests or groups of tests?
- The TC shall deliver a definition of canonicalisation above and beyond w3c c18N, to include such as style variations and any other relevant considerations for the purposes of supporting interoperability testing.
- To define how test documents are to be collected for use in testing.
- A means of identifying extensions to ODF and adding an warning comment to the test output"
- The specification of an FAQ, if appropriate, targeted at interoperability and conformance issues
- A specification of interoperability addressing XML code level interoperation.
- A report to the main TC identifying perceived areas of weakness either for interoperability or testability.
- Provide a means of registering and reporting omitted tests due to non-implementation or a test clause in dispute.
- A specification of a test suite testing interoperability areas (developed from *1) which requires no user intervention, runs in a relatively short time and presents a results summary to the user. The tests should be aimed to attract a large number of users to maximise feedback to ODF. This class of test is sometimes known as acid testing.
- .Collate and publish conformance and interoperability testing information resources.
- A simple process for implementers to raise and have resolved issues over unclear or missing tests.
- To consider a regular format for test results relating a test identity to the result obtained to facilitate comparison of tests or products. For example an XML schema to which the results must conform.
- To consider the provision of 'sufficient' test metadata to enable
a. Grouping of tests for convenience of test running
b. Test filtering for unimplemented/inapplicable parts
c. If applicable, to aid with testing against profiles.
See http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/08/test-case-metadata.html for prior art.
1e. IPR Mode
This TC will operate under the 'RF on Limited Terms' mode as described at http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
Distributers Commercial and Open Source distributors of ODF native or compatible applications and tools.
Integrators Third-party developers and independent software vendors who interact with and/or integrate ODF.
Users End Users of ODF applications and tools, including both typical and 'power' users.
Procurers Procurers and purchasers of ODF-related technology.
Regulators Officials who specify the use of document standards.
Testers Third-party testing and certification labs.
Implementers Individuals and organisations implementing ODF
1g. Language of the TC
All business of the TC will be conducted in English.
2. Informative information
2a. Similar work
Prior ODF work on test documents.http://develop.opendocumentfellowship.com/testsuite/ a comprehensive set of sample documents for ODF.
Consists of .odt files and a view of the output (two Vendors only).
This work has now finished, according to Lotzi Bölöni, PhD. Assistant Professor School of EECS, University of Central Florida
OASIS Test Assertions Guidelines (TAG) TC
Related work on specification of Test Assertions.
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_odf_validation_service a web page where you can check whether an ODF file meets some basic conformance or validation requirements defined by the ODF specification. This service is in particular useful for developers that want to test their implementations, but it may also be used to check if a particular file is a valid ODF file.
The work of Rajiv Shah and Jay Kesan, "Lost in Translation: Interoperability Issues for Open Standards - ODF and OOXML as Examples," (September 2008). The Proceedings of the 36th Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy (TPRC), Arlington, VA, Sept. 26-28, 2008 Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1201708 This work may inform the initial approach to surveying the current state of ODF conformance and interoperability.
2b. First meeting.
(tbc) October 2008 - telcon and email
2c. Meeting schedule Email, monthly telcon unless changed by the TC
2d. Minium membership who support this proposal. Dave Pawson
2e. Convener TBA
2f. Affiliation. None
2g. Contributions. Test specification for 1.1 Dave Pawson
2h FAQ is seen as a deliverable
2i Working Title. ODF Interoperability and Conformance specification.
2008-07-21T09:32:15Z. Original version posted to oiic list. Dave Pawson.
- TC Charter
- Statement of Purpose
- Scope of Work
- List of Deliverables
- Non-normative information
- Similar or Applicable Work
- First Meeting (date, time, location, sponsor)
- Meeting Schedule
- Member Section
- Existing Technical Work optional
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) optional
- Specification Working Title optional
Policies & Guidelines
Specific TopicsInteroperability and conformance: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200808/msg00005.html
Charter and Deliverables: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200808/msg00004.html