Library‎ > ‎About Us‎ > ‎

Library Cards and Overdue Fines


The John McCrae Library Information Center enjoys a unique shared access 
relationship with the Ruth E. Dickinson Branch of the Ottawa Public Library (OPL). At John McCrae you need an OPL library card to take out books.

Grade 9s and HPA Students
  • classroom teachers will distribute library card registration forms to you in September
  • if you are under 16 years old, you need a parent's signature on your form
  • if you already have an OPL card it will be renewed for you by the JMSS Teacher Librarian and you will be identified as a JMSS student on your account so you can take out JMSS books
  • if you've lost or never had a card, one will be made for you by the JMSS Teacher Librarian and delivered to your class
  • if you need a registration form, it is attached below
Students New to McCrae (and students who have lost their cards)
  • drop in to the JMSS library to fill in a card request form and a new card will be made for you
  • if you're under 16, download the attachment at the bottom of the page, have your parents sign it, and bring it in with you when you make your request
  • if you're over 16, click HERE for the registration form


  • JMSS books takes out of the JMSS library do not have overdue fines
  • if you lose or damage a JMSS book, you will need to pay to replace the book
  • OPL (public library) books DO incur overdue fines if returned late - even if the books were taken out for a school project
  • when a new card is made for you your information is entered into the City of Ottawa public library database
  • when you get an OPL/JMSS library card you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set out by BOTH the John McCrae Library and the Ottawa Public Library
  • to see the terms, click here
Kristen Barbour,
Sep 7, 2016, 10:14 AM