You will need:
a library card
and PIN, a Sony Reader, a computer where you can download software (unless you have a Wi-Fi model, see note), a USB cable, and an Adobe ID.
: PDF, EPUB
- Make sure you have a current library card.
- Go to the Sony Reader Store
and click on the appropriate download link for the Reader Library.
Choose either the PC or Mac version, depending on what computer you plan
to use to borrow eBooks.
- Follow the instructions provided and download the Reader Library.
After the download is complete, open the Reader Library application.
- Get an Adobe ID: you can create one when prompted as
you authorize your computer, or go directly to the Adobe.com membership site. Don't forget your ID, you will need it to authorize your Sony Reader later.
If you have a Sony Reader™ Wi-Fi® (PRS-T1) you can browse library sites
and download eBooks directly to your device - you don't need to install
any software as long as you have a Wi-Fi connection.
Checking out ebooks
- Go to ebooks.nypl.org
for books marked as EPUB or PDF format. Both are compatible, but EPUB
is better for enlarging print, and PDF is better for viewing image-heavy
materials and non-Roman text.
- Once you find a title you wish to download, click Add to eList on
the right side of the entry. You have 30 minutes to complete your
checkout before the eBook is returned to the library’s collection.
- If you see an item where this is not an option, click Request Item to be placed in the hold queue.
- Click Proceed to Checkout. Enter your library card number and PIN.
- You can adjust the lending period to 7, 14, or 21 days. You may check
out up to 12 eBooks at one time. After choosing your lending period,
click Confirm Checkout, and then click Download on the next page.
- A dialog box will appear, prompting you to open an acsm file. Open the file with Reader Library.
- On the left panel of Reader Library, Status will be highlighted
and the little arrows will spin. Once the download is complete, the
eBook will appear in your Library under Books, and also as part of the
Purchased category. Double-click on the title to open the book.
- Once the eBook is downloaded to the Reader Library, connect your
Sony Reader to your computer. A new category will appear in the left
menu, called Reader. Expand this section, highlight Sync and click the
Sync Now button to copy the eBook from your computer to the device. At
the end of the lending period, the eBook will expire and disappear from
your Reader Library.