You will need:
a library card
and PIN, a Nook, a computer where you can download software, a USB cable, and an Adobe ID.
File types: PDF
on some models
- Make sure you have a current library card.
- Go to adobe.com on your personal computer and launch the Adobe Digital Editions installer.
- Follow the instructions provided and download the program. It should open once installation is complete.
- Get an Adobe ID: you can create one when prompted within Digital Editions as
you authorize your computer, or go directly to the Adobe.com membership site. Don't forget your ID, you will need it to authorize your Nook later.
Checking out ebooks
- Go to ebooks.nypl.org
- Look for books marked as EPUB or PDF format. Both are compatible, but EPUB is better for enlarging print, and PDF is better for viewing image-heavy materials and non-Roman text.
- Once you find a title you wish to download, click Add to eList on
the right side of the entry. You have 30 minutes to complete your
checkout before the eBook is returned to the library’s collection.
- If you see an item where this is not an option, click Request Item to be placed in the hold queue.
- Click Proceed to Checkout. Enter your library card number and PIN.
- You can adjust the lending period to 7, 14, or 21 days. You may check
out up to 12 eBooks at one time. After choosing your lending period,
click Confirm Checkout, and then click Download on the next page.
- A dialog box will appear, prompting you to open an acsm file. Open the file with Adobe Digital Editions.
- The eBook will appear in your Library under All
Items, and also as part of the Borrowed category. Once the download is
complete, Digital Editions will open the book.
- Once the eBook is appears in your Adobe Digital Editions Library,
connect the Nook to your computer using the USB cable. The first time
you do this, you will have to authorize Nook with your Adobe ID to be
able to transfer protected content to and from the Nook.
- After authorization, the Nook appears as a new bookshelf
in Digital Editions. Simply drag and drop books from
other bookshelves (All Items or Borrowed) by hovering over the Nook
bookshelf until it’s highlighted and the little red “x” turns into a
green “+” sign.
- On the Nook, there are two sections of My Library: My B&N Library
and My Documents. Your NYPL eBooks (and other files you sideload onto
your Nook) will appear in My Documents.
- After you transfer your eBooks
to Nook using Digital Editions, eject your Nook. Select My Library, and
then View My Documents. You may need to press Check for New Content to
display the eBooks you just transferred.
Books will expire when the lending period is over and you won't be able to access them any longer.
- To return a book early: Connect your Nook to your computer.
- In Adobe Digital Editions, click to view your Nook's library.
- Click the arrow in the upper left corner of the book cover. Select Return Borrowed Item.
- Do the same thing in the All Items bookshelf.