You will need: a library card
and PIN, an Amazon Kindle or a Kindle app on another type of device, an Amazon account, Wi Fi, a browser where you can check out ebooks.
You can read Kindle-formatted ebooks on your Amazon Kindle or a free Kindle App.
Checking out ebooks
For step by step instructions with illustrations, see Library Books on Kindle: A Visual Walkthrough
- Browse and search for Kindle books at http://ebooks.nypl.org
- Click Add to eList when you see a title you want. If the book you want is not currently available, click Request Item to be notified when you can borrow it.
- Add titles to your cart, and then Proceed to Checkout.
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- Choose the length of lending period you would like. Note that the default is now 14 days, but can be increased to 21.
- Click on Confirm Check Out.
- Click Get for Kindle.
- If you're signed into Amazon on your computer, it will recognize you. Make sure you're signed in with the right account. If you're not signed in, just click Get Library Book.
- Sign in. If you don't have an account yet, you'll have to create one through I am a new customer. This doesn't require a credit card — just an email address and a password.
- Choose where you'd like to have this ebook "delivered." If you've already linked a Kindle or a Kindle app they'll show up in the list here. Then click continue.
- Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi (click Menu, Settings, Wireless Settings, Connect). If you do not have Wi-Fi at home, visit one of our libraries or another Wi-Fi hotspot.
- If your download does not appear immediately, click Menu and "Sync and Check for Items."
Without Wi Fi
If you have an older Kindle without Wi-Fi, or no available Wi-Fi connection outside of the Library, there are a couple additional steps to transfer the ebook file from your computer to the device.
- In the final step of the checkout process, you'll have the option to download your ebook as a file.
- Connect your Kindle to the computer via USB and save the file to the Kindle's Documents folder.
- For more information, read Amazon's instructions, or view their video about transferring files via USB.
In addition to Kindle formatted ebooks, you can read EPUB ebooks and listen to MP3 audiobooks on the Kindle Fire. To do so, download the Android version of OverDrive Media Console. It is not available in the Amazon Appstore. Instead, go to overdrive.com/Software/omc
and click on "Download OverDrive Media Console for Android from OverDrive." Make sure that you have allowed installation of apps on the device. Tap Quick Settings
on the home screen, and tap More. Tap Device. Turn the switch for Allow Installation of Applications
to the on
iPhones and mobile devices
A PC or Mac is required to check out a Kindle Book. If you have the Kindle app on your iPhone/mobile device, you may choose to send the Kindle Book to the Kindle app on your iPhone/mobile device, but the Kindle Book checkout process must be done on the PC or Mac.
- eBooks published by Penguin are no longer available for over-the-air (Wi fi) delivery to Kindle devices. They must be downloaded to a computer and transferred via USB as described above. Penguin ebooks will not be available to view using the Kindle App for tablet and mobile devices. Select EPUB format for these titles.
- If you choose to purchase the book from the Kindle Store or check it out again at a later date, all of your notes and highlights will be preserved.
- If you want to set up additional devices, see what you have checked out, or return a book, go to Manage Your Kindle.
- Need more help? View the Amazon Help page for public library books for additional resources related to Kindle devices and reading apps.