You will need
: a library card
and PIN, an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, and an Adobe ID.
EPUB, MP3, PDF with Bluefire
, Kindle with Kindle app
- Make sure you have a current library card.
- Confirm you have iOS 4.0 or newer
- Install OverDrive Media Console (for EPUB formatted ebooks. For PDF ebooks, see note below.)
- Launch OverDrive Media Console.
- Authorize your device. You will need to enter your existing Adobe ID or create one if you don't have one.
- Tap the Get Books + button.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Enter your ZIP code or the name of your library. Find the name of
your library, and then tap the star next to the name to add it to your
list of libraries (you can add other libraries that you go to, like
Brooklyn Public Library or Queens Library!)
- Tap the name of the library to go to the ebook catalog.
Checking out ebooks
- Look for books marked as EPUB. PDF is not compatible with the OverDrive app, but you can open PDFs with other apps that support Adobe DRM.
- Once you find a title you wish to download, click Add to eList. You have 30 minutes to complete your
checkout before the eBook is returned to the library’s collection.
- If you see an item where this is not an option, click Request Item to be placed in the hold queue. You will get an email when your book is available.
- Click Proceed to Checkout. Enter your library card number and PIN.
- You can adjust the lending period to 7, 14, or 21 days. You may check
out up to 12 eBooks at one time. After choosing your lending period,
click Confirm Checkout, and then click Download on the next page.
- Tap the book cover to start reading.
- Tap the arrow icon to see information about the book, table of contents, and bookmarks.
- To return a book, swipe across the row, and tap Delete.
- You will then have the option to keep it on your account and delete, or Return and Delete.
Note: For PDF ebooks, you can try the Bluefire reader, which is compatible with Adobe DRM. To use this you must email yourself or transfer the .acsm file from a computer so that you can open it on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.