Your Original Poetry Book
DUE: FRIDAY, March 16, 2012 (10 points off for each day late!)
This is a MAJOR GRADE for the 4th quarter
REQUIREMENTS: All work must be typed or VERY NEATLY handwritten using PEN. (Typing is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED, but we won’t be spending any time in class on this.)
· Title page: Have a creative title which embodies the work that you have included in your project. Please include your full name and your class hour. (5 points)
· Table of contents: list the title of each work and the order in which it will appear. (5 points)
· A favorite published poem of your choice. Make sure to give the author credit. Stretch yourself! Don’t just pick “kid” poems that you’ve been reading for years. Find a new one that speaks to you now! (10 points)
· One paragraph describing why you chose that poem and what it means to you. (10 points)
· Free Verse poem-rough draft completed in class. Make sure you proofread for a finished, final product! (10 points)
· Object Lyric poem- rough draft already completed in class. Make sure you proofread for a finished, final product! (10 points)
· Bullfrogs model poem- rough draft already completed in class. Make sure you proofread for a finished, final product! (10 points)
· Blackout poem-in its original state-done in class. (10 points)
· One more original poem written by you. At least 10 lines. We’ll be doing some “extra” poems in class, and you could use one of these. If you need ideas, come see me, but NOT at the last minute! (10 points)
· About the author page: write a paragraph describing who you are, as if the reader doesn’t yet know you. Look to published novels for an example. (10 points)
Appearance means a lot!!! Work must be presented in a folder with brads, a portfolio, or a binder. If you want to go the extra mile and have your work professionally bound at Kinko’s or Office Max, that will be great. (It still needs to be in by the deadline, so please don’t make your mom do this for you at midnight on March 26! Plan ahead!) Appearance is worth 10 points.
You may include ORIGINAL pieces of artwork in your project. Original photography, ink/pencil drawings, creative bordering, cartoons are all ideas. Each piece must illustrate or relate to the poems you have enclosed. Look to Watermelon Pickle or your textbook for inspiration. You will receive 2 extra points for each illustration.
Spelling/grammar will be checked. Misspelling must be purposeful. Neatness and originality will also be considered. This is an opportunity for you to be creative! You may use whatever font style you want . Think outside the box. You may include more work than is listed, but the required pieces are the ones which will be graded. Remember the rules about PLAGIARISM! Your work will be checked for originality!!