What to do if your identity has been  stolen:

  1. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  2. Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened without your authorization.
  3. Contact the three major credit reporting bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit file or place a security freeze on your credit file.
  4. Review your credit report for accounts you did not open; debts you did not incur on any accounts; inquiries from companies you do not know; and inaccurate information.
  5. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
  6. New Mexico residents may request an Identity Theft Passport.

  • The Identity Theft Passport database is a statewide system accessed by law enforcement and the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) to identify and document victims of identity theft.
  • Once a victim of identity theft files a report with local law enforcement, this report, along with the victim’s personal information, becomes stored in the Identity Theft Passport database that is available to statewide law enforcement agencies.
  • The victim’s information will also be accessible by the Motor Vehicle Department.
  • Passports can only be received at an office of the State of New Mexico MVD.
  • The passport is a New Mexico identity card. “Victim of Identity Theft” will be printed on the back in the endorsement area and should be carried by the victim to help prevent identity confusion if a crime has been committed in the victim’s name.

For more information on identity theft click here or download the PDF below.

Apr 26, 2012, 12:08 PM