The purpose of driver education is to provide students with a detailed understanding of the fundamentals of driving and to foster responsible attitudes and behaviors. As a result of quality traffic-safety instruction, students will be able to
• demonstrate a working knowledge of the laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle;
• identify and analyze the physical and psychological conditions that affect driver performance;
• apply knowledge, processes, and skills to become safe, competent users of the highway transportation system;
• use visual search skills to make risk-reducing decisions by adjusting speed and/or position;
• demonstrate balanced vehicle movement through precise and timely steering, braking, and accelerating under a variety of conditions; and
• display responsible driving behaviors when alone and with peers.
-from the Virginia Standards of Learning