To send gmail from and receive gmail to your NIU alias (instead of your Z-ID@niu.edu), create another gmail account using your alias.
Please note: this is how Gmail works. NIU can't change this process.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner and choose Settings
- Click Accounts, then Add another email address you own
- Enter your name and NIU alias
- Make sure the Treat as an alias checkbox is checked
- Click Next Step
- Click Send Verification
- Go to your Inbox and open the verification message
- Click the link in the email to confirm
Now when you compose a new message you will see a dropdown arrow in the From box.
Choose either your Z-ID address or alias.