Bring Your Own Device, also known as BYOD, is an initiative in New Hanover County Schools that empowers staff and students to use their mobile device(s), on the school's NHCS_BYOD WiFi network, to both enhance existing digital teaching and learning opportunities and create new ones.
This initiative is part of the NHCS Digital Teaching and Learning plan and was created to help increase and improve teachers’ and students’ use of digital tools for learning. All schools are equipped with a NHCS_BYOD network, but here are a few things teachers and students should know before getting started.
- Students should check with their teacher before bringing a device to school for use.
- Before participating in BYOD staff and students must read the BYOD Policy and sign the appropriate agreement form.
- The completed form should be returned to the school.
- NHCS_WIFI: NHCS owned Laptops
- Staff_iPad: This network is for NHCS owned Staff iPads.
- Student_iPad: This network is for NHCS owned Student iPads.
- NHCS_BYOD: Student and Staff members only can connect using their personal device. If a student is unable to connect to NHCS_BYOD network, please consult with your Data-Manager to determine if the proper paperwork has been turned in by the parents and that the Technology Access page in PowerSchool is correct.
- NHCS_GUEST: This will be used for true guest/visitors on an as requested basis. Accounts are created via Help Desk and will be time restricted. Please request these accounts at least two hours before needing them. Teachers, complete the request form for guest accounts (see your email or contact Mr. Taper or Mr. Jones for the URL).