2013-14 School Calendar

Cub Scouts

Parent Association News

Newman Parent Association


Board Members:

Jan Avery, Elementary Principal

Danielle Hutchison, Faculty Representative

Jacquelyn Arthur,  President

Mary Determan, Vice President

Summer Kellar, Secretary

Laura Schissal, Treasurer/Fundraising

Brenda Steidl, Publicity Chair

Erica McBride, Activity Chair

 

Members:

Elizabeth Anderegg

Andrea Hanig,

Krista Hemann

Tara Hensley

Sarah Johnson

Tara Kruckenberg

Laura Schissel

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



Parent Association Meeting

Tuesday, March 4th 2014

 

In attendance:  Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Krista Hemann,  Laura Schissel, Mary Determan, Erica McBride, Jacquelyn Arthur, Summer Kellar, Jan Avery, Danielle Hutchison, Brenda Steidl, and Tara Hensley.

 

Meeting was called to order at 6:00

 

Approval of February minutes:  Brenda first, Mary second, all in favor.

 

Treasurer’s Report:  Current balance $6000.00, although Mrs. Avery says it will be closer to $1800.00 after Juno systems go through.

 

Mrs. Avery Report: 

·         Kindergarten round up went well.  As of now numbers for next year are very small, 33 registered for round up, 26 have committed for sure.  3 families were interested in dual enrollment with home schooling.  Our diocese does not allow dual enrollment with home schooling, it only allows it with the public school.

·         Discovery Newman night went well, 3 families interested in elementary.

·         Considering inviting new families to the first PA meeting of year on August 5th as a way to answer any questions they may have.

·         Lent:  Give up, Take up, Lift up.  There is a prayer service every Monday morning during lent.

 

Committee Report: 

·         Original Works:  Summer reported that this year we sent in 123 art work pieces totaling $2752.50.  The school made a profit of $920.00.

·         Activity and Publicity-Membership committee’s did not have anything new to report.

Open Discussion: 

·         New PA members will be elected on ballots during conferences on March 24th and 25th.  5 spots will need to be filled.

·         PA members signed up to bring snacks for teachers on both conference nights.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 6:40

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, April 1st in Elementary Commons.



Parent Teacher Association Meeting

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

 

In attendance: Elizabeth Anderegg, Jacquelyn Arthur, Andrea Hanig, Krista Hemann, Tara Hensley, Danielle Hutchison, Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Laura Schissel

 

Meeting was called to order at 6:30

Approval of January minutes: Tara K moved to approve, Laura seconded, all in favor

 

Treasurer's Report: No report (Mrs. Avery not in attendance)

 

Mrs. Avery's Report: No report (Mrs. Avery not in attendance)

 

Committee Report:

·         Fundraising--- Original Works went home with students last week, due back on Monday, 2/10.

·         Activity/Program--- Spirit Night was on 1/18. Good crowd but it was slow.

o        Discussed tattoos- consider ordering more, Erica has the information. Last box was purchased a couple years ago. Possibly check local vendors for availability or better pricing (Erica?)? Discuss at March meeting.

o        Talk with Mrs Avery about end of year activity--- inflatables?

·         Publicity/Membership- No report

 

Open Discussion:

·         PTA elections to be held at Spring Conferences. Several people finishing their 1st terms (Elizabeth, Laura, Jacquelyn, Tara  H, and Erica)--- these people need to decide if they are interested in running again for a 2nd term and all are to bring names of other people interested in running. Asking to have that run in the newsletter, as well. (Sarah will ask Carol)

·         Minutes on website--- minutes will be sent to JoDee Bryant and ask her to post on the website. (Sarah will send February minutes)

·         "Calendar of Events"--- ask to have the PTA meetings added to the school calendar and the newsletter calendar of events. Meetings are open to everyone but many may not be aware. (Sarah will email Carol to have her include the March meeting)

·         Kindergarten Round-up is on 2/25--- does Mrs. Avery want the PTA to have a table? Suggestion was that it would be good for parents to know either then or not long after that the main fundraiser starts right after school starts.

·         Walk-a-thon was talked about. Laura to bring more information. Discussed that rather than a fundraiser, this could be done as a fun activity- in line with the Blue Zone initiatives.

·         Spring conferences--- PTA to bring treats, discuss at March meeting

 

Agenda items for March meeting: PTA election, Conference treats, Temporary tattoos, end of year activities, meetings being added to school calendar, Walk-a-thon

 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:10: Tara H moved to adjourn, Tara K seconded, all in favor

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, March 5th in the Elementary Commons



Parent Association Meeting

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

 

In attendance:  Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Erica McBride, Krista Hemann,  Andrea Hanig, Mary Determan, Summer Kellar, Jan Avery, Danielle Hutchison

 

Meeting called to order at 7:30

 

Approval of October 1st Minutes:  Sarah Johnson

 

Treasurer’s Report:  $6,280.00 left in account.  Classroom supplies totaling $640.00 were ordered.  2 more Juno systems have been ordered, just need to order the kid mics for each.

 

Committee Report:

                Fundraising:  original works is next fundraiser coming up

                Activity report:  Erica reported no new news.

                Publicity report:  Brenda no present.

 

Open discussion:

                Jill Manternach has requested funding assistance for a staff Christmas party which is taking place on January 3rd.  Funds would be used to appetizers, drinks, and decorations.  She had prepared a letter to go out to all parents requesting Newman scrip donations to be used for teacher gifts.  Lastly she was looking for volunteers to help set up for party at 2:30, as party is from 3:30 – 6:00.  A concern of some the PA members were that scrip money donation be credited to that family’s total.  PA members thought it seemed like a good idea getting away from teacher gifts and giving each teacher scrip, making it easier for families around the busy holidays.  After a lengthy discussion, the PA motioned to donate up to $500 to the staff Christmas party if needed.

 

                Summer questioned as to when the limo ride would be.  Mrs. Avery said it was scheduled for the week before Christmas, and 40 students earned a ride.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 8:10

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, January7 at 6:30 in Elementary Commons



Parent Association Meeting

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

 

In attendance:  Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Krista Hemann, Brenda Steidl, Andrea Hanig, Laura Schissel, Elizabeth Anderegg, Mary Determan, Summer Kellar, Tara Hensley, and Jan Avery

 

Meeting was called to order at 6:30

Approval of September 3rd  Minutes:  Andrea

 

Treasurer’s Report:  No financial statement available, but Mrs. Avery did say just over $16,000.00 was deposited, which was profit from the Chip Shoppe Fundraiser.  This was the “best ever” profit from this fundraiser.  The school did purchase 6 Juno mic systems for the elementary.  They are being used as follows:  3 in third grade rooms, 1 in fifth grade room, 1 in Mrs. Ries room, and 1 as floater.   Each system cost around $1,800.00. There are plans In future to purchase more.

 

Mrs. Avery Report:  Following up on the Dibels Assessments talked about last meeting, Mrs. Avery is done testing the K & 5th grades.  K benchmark is 84% and they scored 86%, and 5th benchmark is 94%, and they scored 89%.  Mrs. Avery said she will be discussing with teachers ways to improve the scores in order to meet benchmarks.

 

Committee Report: 

·         Fundraising: 

o        Chip Shoppe total profit as stated early was just over $16,000.00, and was our best year ever.

o         Other fundraising options discussed as new possibilities are:  Walk-a-thon, Tupperware, and Jewelry.  These were brought up by members who had knowledge and examples of these types of fundraisers.  Members expressed interest in these options and are requesting more info for future meetings.

·         Activity Chair:  Erica was not present, but those that helped at spirit night on September 20th all agreed that the tattoos, colored hair spray and limited face paint went over well.

·         Publicity-Membership:  Brenda did not have anything new to report.

 

Open Discussion: 

·         Jill Manternach requested financial assistance for a teacher’s holiday party.  We did not have any details regarding this request and moved to bring up again at our next meeting.

·         PA is requesting a thank you be put in the newsletter for everyone’s support of the Chip Shoppe fundraiser, mentioning that funding is being used for the purchase of the Juno systems.

·         Kris inquired about t-shirts, as in previous years; if a student sold so many items they received a Newman t-shirt which could be worn or scrip jean day.  This is the second year without the t-shirts, and the reason for this, is that students were wearing any Newman shirt on jean day, so the decision was made to do away with the shirts.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:15

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, November 5th in Elementary Commons.



Parent Association Meeting

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

 

In attendance:  Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Erica McBride, Krista Hemann, Brenda Steidl, Andrea Hanig, Laura Schissel, Elizabeth Andregg, Mary Determan, Jacquelyn Arthur, Summer Kellar, Tara Hensley, and Jan Avery.  Jenn Swanson

 

Meeting was called to order at 6:30

 

Approval of August 6th  Minutes:  Tara

 

Treasurer’s Report:  No financial statement available as of yet.  Money used to purchase popsicles for middle schoolers on first day.

 

Mrs. Avery Report:  She gave presentation on the Dibels Assessments which are K-6.  Dibels stands for—Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills.  These assessments are given 3 times per year by Mrs. Avery.  Dibels –Predicts early reading success.  Predicts state test performance.  Identifies students who need intervention.  Evaluate effectiveness of intervention.

·         K—first sound fluency

·         K-1—Phoneme segmentation fluency

·         K-1—Letter naming fluency

·         K-2—Nonsense word fluency (3 letter combos)

·         1-6—Oral reading fluency

·         3-6—daze

No reports sent home for this assessment, it is more for the staff, parents can get results from Mrs. Avery if request.  Kids on interventions or accommodation plans are at 41% or below on Iowa Assessment.

 

Committee Report: 

·         Fundraising:  Chip Shoppe went out last week.  Newman makes $0.40 on the dollar as profit.  Moneys this year is intended to be used for mic system.

·         Activity Chair:  Erica, spirit night will be September 20th, which is also Homecoming.  During first quarter PA will do tattoos, face painting and colored hair spray.

·         Publicity-Membership:  Brenda contacted new families to Newman by email or letter.  25 total families.

 

Open Discussion: 

·         New this year:  every grade level gets to see a live performance, in addition to the normal grade level field trip

·         Tennis shoe rule, new this year, is working out very well.

·         On Tuesday late start, drop off this is 7:30.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:15

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, October 1 at 6:30 in Elementary Commons.



Parent Association Meeting

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

 

In attendance:  Sarah Johnson, Tara Kruckenberg, Krista Hemann, Brenda Steidl, Andrea Hanig, Laura Schissel, Elizabeth Andregg, Mary Determan, Jacquelyn Arthur, Summer Kellar, and Jan Avery

 

Meeting was called to order at 6:30

 

Approval of April 30th Minutes:  Sarah

 

Treasurer’s Report:  9 new Smartboards were purchased on ebay from a school in Texas, they are a little smaller than the Smartboards currently in use.  Each will have their own chart, and will be easier to move around.  Now every K-5 and Preschool room will have a Smartboard.  A new IPAD cart with 10 IPADS was also purchased.  The chart will allow IPADS to be synced all at once.  A document camera and laptop were also purchased.

 

Committee Report: 

·         Fundraising:  Chip Shoppe will start at beginning of school year, deadline for orders will be September 12th, delivery will be September 28th in a.m.

·         Activity Chair:  Erica, no report, Erica not in attendance

·         Publicity-Membership:  Brenda working on sending an e-mail or letter to anyone new to Newman this year.

 

Open Discussion: 

·         Jan shared that computer lab is up and running.  Insurance paid for new cords, computers were repaired and all are up and running fine.

·         Jan shared that an evening outdoor Mass is planned for Wednesday, September 4th, with an ice cream social to follow, to kick off the school year.  If it rains, there will be no make-up day, as the new gym floor is not yet installed.

·         The “tentative” new time for school this year will be 8:10 – 3:15, and late start Tuesday will be 8:40.  The first day of school is Tuesday, August 27th, and there will be no bussing that day.

 

Meeting was adjouned

 

Next meeting will be Tuesday, September 3 at 6:30 in Elementary Commons.







Comments