Last updated July 16, 2011
Mobile Food Pantry
- Help needed the first and third Tuesday THIS SUMMER from 9:30-11:30. Just show up at the Nelson Community Center or call Connie Brittle at the Center.
- A group of students are meeting with the Tye River Elementary School Cub Care Package Program committee, helping to plan a program for next year. Stay tuned for updates!
Green Works Recycling & Environmental Projects
- See Ms. Tinder or call Mary Cunningham (540)456-8316 (H) (434)882-1587(C)
- Assistance needed with the Thrift Shop and monthly Pancake Breakfast.
- Contact Bo Holland at (434)361-0100 or BHolland@RockfishCC.org
- Contact Hamner Theatre at (434) 361-1999
Help clean-up the Rockfish River
- Planning and implementing stream clean-up of the Rockfish River. Contact the Rockfish Valley Community Center in Afton.
Nelson County Humane Society
- Volunteers needed to include walk animals and provide personal contact for caged animals.
- Hours needed: 4-6 pm, M-F.
- Please contact Fonda Bell, Segrid Mirabella, or Bette Grahme at (434) 277-5911.
Service Learning Successes
Jade Kim was one of 3 students to receive the Governor's Seal. The other two were Rachael Johnson & Nyeela Hueholt.
Anthony Lotz has established Service Learning on Facebook as his contribution.
On April 2, 2011, at the Sanctuary of the Haven, Charlottesville, Cody Burnley (far left) was one of ten area recipients of the United Way's Youth Services Award for his work with the Lovingston Volunteer Fire Department. After Nyeeld Huehold, InterAct Club president, presented a $50 check to aid Haitian relief, sponsored by Shenandoah University, club members gather around the president of Shenandoah University. On April 12, a group of NCHS students, chaperoned by Lynn Hanson and Jane Raup, traveled to Winchester to donate books and money to the Henry & William Evans Home for Children (which is affiliated with the Rotary Club). Both Cody and his parents attended the celebration of youth service in Charlottesville to see their son recognized for his service to the community.