Jo Ann Wagner
Assistant Superintendent of Instruction
Welcome to the Instruction section of the Nelson County Public Schools' website. We hope you find this site helpful and informative.
As stated in our Mission Statement, we continuously strive to educate the students of Nelson to become skilled, responsible, productive, and enlightened citizens who will contribute to the county and society in a positive way. As we educate our children, we focus on the following:
- Setting high expectations of our students, teachers, and staff;
- Continuous monitoring of our students' progress;
- Building a strong home, school, and community relationship;
- Providing a safe, orderly, and caring environment; and
- Making available many professional development opportunities for our instructional staff.
From this website, we intend to provide information about the instructional department to parents, teachers, staff, community members, and students:
- See what programs are offered at the elementary and secondary levels.
- Visit the testing section and become familiar with the state's Standards of Learning, and our division's SOL scores; also, become acquainted with the terms, "accreditation: and "AYP" and view our division's ratings.
- Explore our Student Services program and the variety of services we provide.
- Please use the site for Curriculum Guides, SOL information, and obtain the latest professional development opportunities.
Our department works with administration, teachers, and parents in handling the responsibilities below:
- Regular, gifted, remedial, and alternative education.
- Virginia Standards of Learning information
- No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB)
- Curriculum Guides
- Division Comprehensive School Improvement Plan
- Professional development
- Textbook adoptions
- Summer programs (summer school, summer enrichment)
- Federal programs
- Blue Ridge Virtual Governor's School (BRVGS)
- Field trip processing
- Enrollment procedures
- Home School and Religious Exemption requests (Notice of Intent Forms)
Thank you for visiting. See our contact page for names, phone numbers, and email addresses of the "players" on our Instruction team if you need additional information.