> Are you interested in conducting research and being mentored by faculty,
post-doctoral fellows and advanced graduate students?
> Would you like to know how to prepare for and to pursue a PhD degree?
> Does spending time on the beautiful campus of NC State appeal to you?
> Will you have completed at least your sophomore year of college by next summer?
Students who participate in this program will be better prepared and motivated to pursue advanced degrees, thereby helping to sustain a rich talent pool in critical areas related to all aspects of civil engineering research and innovation. We encourage participation from engineering students from underrepresented and underserved groups from the U.S. and its territories.
Read about the 2016 RISE Program here.
- Conduct state-of-the-art research related to challenging civil and environmental engineering problems
- List of recent research projects >>>>
- Be mentored by NC State faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and advanced graduate students
- Experience the diverse research atmosphere and culture at NC State University >>>>
- Present results at a research symposium and poster competition >>>>
- Participate in weekly seminars and workshops to prepare for graduate school and professional development
- e.g., preparation of research abstract, poster, research statement; planning for research and academic careers
- Engage in social and community activities
- Have opportunities to co-author scientific manuscripts with the mentors
- Receive a $4,000 stipend, travel expenses, university housing
- Have access to campus facilities (e.g., library, athletic, and health facilities)
- Should have attended an academic institution in the U.S. or its territories
- Should have completed undergraduate sophomore year by June 2017 or be in a master's program
- Be enrolled as a student in an US academic institution in Fall 2017 semester
- Hold a competitive GPA (3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale is recommended)
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in research and in pursuing a doctoral degree
- Persons from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply
RISE participants must be resident at NC State University full-time during the 2-month program. During this period, participants may not enroll for classes, concurrent summer programs, or hold other employment. RISE is held on the NC State University campus in Raleigh, NC.
- Application Deadline: February 20, 2017
- Notifications: March-April, 2017
- Program Dates: June 4 - August 4, 2017
- Contents of application
- Application form
- Including contact information (name, title, affiliation, email, phone) for up to 2 references
- A single pdf file consisting of:
- A brief resume (two page limit)
- Statement of interest, including academic background, research and future career goals, your expectations from participating in in the RISE program (two page limit)
- Transcript(s) (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Submit Application