Resources‎ > ‎

Rights and Entitlements

Whilst we strive to keep the information on the website up to date; policies, eligibility criteria and rules on entitlements are constantly changing and you should always check out the Government or Council website for the latest guidance. 

Advice Organisations

Contact a Family provides support, advice and information for families with disabled children, no matter what their condition or disability. Their website has lots of helpful publications including an essential checklist setting out in easy to understand guides your rights and entitlements including: benefits and tax credits; education; short breaks; direct payments; your rights at work as a parent of a disabled child; and childcare. Guides are also available in different languages.

The Carers Resource is the local specialist centre for the Harrogate, Craven, Airedale and Bradford districts of Yorkshire providing support for carers. Carers Resource workers can visit you at home and help you complete DLA forms. They also have details of local support groups and leisure activities for disabled children and issue discount cards for local resources eg Allsorts at Winkies.

11 North Park Road

Tel: 01423 500555
Fax: 01423 507777
Griffin House
Broughton Hall 
Business Park
BD23 3AN

Tel: 01756 700888
Fax: 01756 799944
 Sharow View 

Tel: 01765 690222


Welfare Benefits

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 

DLA is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults to help with extra costs you may have because you are disabled. It is not based on your disability but the needs arising from it. For example, if you need someone to help look after you or have mobility needs. Cerebra do an excellent guide specific to brain related conditions including autism.

The DWP issue guidance for their decision makers. It can be hard to fit autism symptoms to the criteria, especially for mobility, so it is worth looking at the official criteria.

Also seek advice from Carers Resource who will assist with completing the forms. If you are the carer of a person who has been awarded middle or high rate DLA care component you may also be entitled to Carers Allowance and additional tax credits. If you or a person you care for is awarded DLA mobility component, you may be eligible for a Blue Badge. You do not need an award of DLA mobility to apply for a Blue Badge, but it helps!

Carers Allowance

If you care for someone who receives DLA at the middle or high rate you may be eligible for Carers Allowance.

Tax Credits

If you care for someone who receives DLA you should notify the Tax Credits office and may receive additional disability element on your tax credits.

If you receive carers allowance you should notify Tax Credits that your income has changed.


If your child has special educational needs (SEN), your child may be entitled to additional support in school and nursery.

The NAS national website has important information on SEN and also operates an 
Education Rights Helpline: 
0845 070 4002
The line is manned by trained volunteers, but can be busy at times.
Other free helplines and websites dealing with education issues are available:
IPSEA - really useful guide to appealing a refusal of a request of statutory assessment, caselaw and information on exclusions.
A.C.E. - really useful guide on how to check a Statement of SEN and information on exclusions.
SOSSEN - a great section on 'weasel words' and pitfalls to look out for.
AFASIC - for children with speech and language needs and some useful publications.
Children's Legal Centre (especially useful if you think you may be entitled to legal aid. They will assess this for you and if eligible provide you with a list of Solicitors who handle education matters. Also offer free 10 minute interview with a Solicitor.

All parents applying for a Statement should obtain their own hard copy of the SEN Code of Practice and the SEN Toolkit.

You can get copies by contacting the Department of Education's Publications Centre by

 telephone on 0870 000 2288.


Blue Badge Scheme. 

The blue badge scheme is a European scheme of parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers.

In North Yorkshire, the County Council administers the blue badge scheme on behalf of the Department for Transport. In order to achieve a consistent approach, all blue badges for North Yorkshire residents are issued from the Customer Services Centre in Northallerton. Staff adhere to criteria and rules laid down by the Department for Transport.Please be aware that although the media is indicating some changes in relation to blue badge eligibility criteria, the government have not announced a decision as yet and the current eligibility criteria remains in force.

Useful links:

Department of Transport Review into extending blue badge scheme for people with autism. No decision has yet been made to extend the scheme.

Free bus pass
Disabled children and a carer can get free bus travel see NYCC website for details


The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to exchange either their Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or their War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement to obtain a new car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

Residents Parking

Some local Councils will provide free carers permits if you live in an area with residents only parking but receive a high volume of visitors due to your care needs eg Harrogate Borough Council will provide an additional permit.

Carers Go Free

Mencap Northallerton has put together a list of places that allow carers to go free here (mostly in the north of the County)

Inclusion Officers
Support for children and young people to access out of school activities and childcare. See attached leaflet

Subpages (1): Early Years and Schools
web genie,
28 May 2011, 11:00