New Albany Elementary School K-1 is home to a 6 year old Labrador/Golden Retriever cross named Shirra. Shirra is a licensed Facility Dog through Canine Companions for Independence and works with children in a variety of ways:
- She serves as a role model of good behavior
- She helps children feel more comfortable and welcome
- She helps children express their feelings, learn responsibility and compassion
- She comforts children and assists them in learning to comfort others.
- Shirra is an excellent listener and loves listening to children read books.
Mrs. Schubert is a licensed Canine Companion handler and serves as Shirra’s facilitator.