The International Baccalaureate Program
Overview of the International Baccalaureate
The Learner Profile
The Learner Profile
The learner profile is a set of attributes that define what it means to be a lifelong learner. The learner profile is the connecting thread of all IB programs and central to the definition of what it means to be internationally minded.
IB LEARNERS ARE:
For more information about the Learner Profile click here.
Why is International Baccalaureate a good fit for Merrimack Valley?
- It addresses numerous goals and objectives in the Long Range Plan.
- It is inclusive of all children.
- It will emphasize a systematic (K-12) commitment towards excellence.
- It is a challenging educational program.
- Teachers are active participants in program development.
- It is a well rounded program, emphasizing student participation in community service and co-curricular activities.
- It is a flexible program that can meet the varying needs of different schools.
- IB is recognized as excellent preparation for success in postsecondary education and in life.
The International Baccalaureate
The International Baccalaureate (IB) is an independent, non-profit educational organization that works with schools to develop challenging educational programs and rigorous assessment. IB does not own or manage any school, but does provide support services to schools. Founded in 1968, the IB today works with 3,613 schools in 144 countries to offer and develop its four programs. In the United States there are currently 1,449 IB schools.
For more information about IB click here
The Primary Years Program
The Primary Years Program (PYP) is designed for students aged 3-12. It focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and the world outside.
The Middle Years Program
The MYP is designed for students aged 11 to 16. It provides a framework of learning which encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers.