The purpose of the Weekly Memo to Project Manager is both to document the activity and progress of your team and to receive feedback during the development of the course so that your experience and learning are optimized. Each person on the team will be required to write at least two reports. While no template is provided, the reports should be well organized and include tables or other graphic components as applicable.
Your Communication Instructor/Project Manager may require you to email your Memo directly to her/him or may require you to hand in a hard copy at your weekly meetings. You will decide this with your Communication Instructor/Project Manager.
Required information is as follows. In the upper, left hand corner, you must include in Memo style:
- Name of student who prepared report
- Project Manager
- Team Leader
- Team Members
Then, you must provide:
- Table of Activities since the last report, specifying task, person assigned, date due and whether completed or not
- An appropriate number of well-structured paragraphs, describing the focus of activity for the past seven days, that is, explaining the activities summarized in the table you have provided. Discuss what is working well, both for your team and in the course, and what you are having difficulty with.
Include, as applicable:
- Actions taken
- Design decisions made
- Alternatives considered
- Methods of decision-making
- Problems encountered and strategies to address problems
- Areas of concern, including requests for clarification in lecture
Formatting should follow these guidelines:
- 8½” by 11” paper size, 12 point font, 1 ½ spacing
- 3 cm (1¼ inch) margin all around
- Page numbers should appear, centred on the bottom of each page in the footer. If there is only one page, number it anyway.
For hard copies:
- Staple the report in the upper left hand corner.
- Do not use any form of plastic or cardboard folders
- Identify the Project Manager; name must be spelled correctly
- Identify all team members, with first and surname as well as student number. Names must be spelled correctly.
- Do not indent the first lines of paragraphs
- Skip one full space between paragraphs.
- If you utilize any information from another source, you must reference that source using correct IEEE citations.
Additional attachments may be specified from time to time. For example, for the first Report to Project Manager, you must include a copy of your Team Rules.
The grading of the Weekly Memo will contribute toward the Tutorial Grade of 5%. This mark is not a team mark and will be assigned on an individual basis. The grading rubric is available here.