News & Events

  • Check out our PROM and Special Olympics videos!!

    Special Olympics: 

    Posted May 17, 2017, 9:17 AM by Laura Costello
  • FREE Dyslexia Event - Thursday June 15
    OPEN HOUSE - ORTON-GILLINGHAM for Struggling Readers
    by the Children's Dyslexia Centers-Seacoast Learning Center in collaboration with the 
    Rochester School District
    FREE Dyslexia Event - Thursday June 15

    Rethinking Dyslexia: One School's Solution - 
    Orton-Gillingham (OG) for Struggling Readers

    FREE - 2.5 CEUs for Educators

    OPEN HOUSE - OG for Struggling Readers
    5:30 Doors open
    6:00-6:15 - Welcome
    6:15-7:00 - Rethinking Dyslexia - The Movie
    7:00-8:00 - Question and Answer 
    8:30-9:00 - Sign Up for the September Orton-Gillingham Cohort

    The Panel
    Includes representatives from the Children's Dyslexia Center - Seacoast Learning Center, Rochester School Department, School Board Chairman, New Hampshire dyslexia law stakeholders, parents, and students. 

    The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia
    With 1 in 5 people dyslexic this film is a must see for everyone including administrators, teachers, special educators, and parents. The film presents personal accounts of the dyslexia experience from children, experts, and industry leaders. Drs. Sally and Bennett Shaywitz, co-founders of the Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity, share research from their decades-long investigation into dyslexia.

    Question and Answer
    There will be an audience question and answer period after the movie.

    September Orton-Gillingham Cohort Sign-up 
    The Rochester School District is hosting the September Orton-Gillingham cohort. The cohort, lead by the Children's Dyslexia Centers - Seacoast Learning Center, includes 60 hours of classroom instruction and the area's only structured 100 hour supervised practicum. Scholars who successfully complete the training become IMSLEC certified teachers of Orton-Gillingham. All schools are invited to join! Space is limited. 2017-2018 Cohort training dates: 9/12, 9/26, 10/10, 10/24, 11/14, 12/5, 1/9/18 and 2/6/18.

    Rochester Opera House - 31 Wakefield Street, Rochester NH 03867

    Thursday June 15, 2017. Doors open at 5:30
    Children's Dyslexia Centers-Seacoast Learning Center
    Posted May 12, 2017, 5:32 AM by Laura Costello
  • Augusta Transition Fair
    Noble HS will have a bus going from the HS on Thursday morning. The bus will leave at 7:45 and return at 2:00. There is space available on the bus if parents would like go. Parents can contact to sign up.
    Posted Mar 13, 2017, 6:30 AM by Laura Costello
  • UNEXPECTED LIVES Professional Development Day for Special Educators, Therapists, Clinicians, Mental Health Professionals and Parents MARCH 17, 2017
    Please see attached flyer
    Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:50 AM by Laura Costello
  • Parent Meeting 3/8/17 Notes
    Miss the meeting on 3/8/17?  Here is a review of what was covered: 


    Sign in sheet passed around


    Maine Parent Group Federation (Carrie Woodcock):

    • Non profit, grant funded.  Do not need to qualify through MaineCare or section 28. They service children ages K-26 and sometimes older, if needed.  Education on Special Education is provided through workshops. Help explain laws, practices, etc.  Also provide one on one peer support. Help walk families through SS, Katie Beckett, etc. Within the school system, they can provide support at IEP meetings if families feel they need one. They are a support system, work with families to understand rights and help compromise with the schools.  Will only provide support at the IEP.  They are not the voice of the meeting.  They will give you the tools needed to communicate your needs.

    Service Provider Info:

    What School based therapy looks like-

    Erin Roy-Pelletier (Secondary SW) and Nicole Hutzler (Elem SW)-

    Work very closely with Voc Rehab to help transition

    SW services for SpEd are implemented as part of the student’s IEP if their emotional needs require services to make a goal.  They are generally very short services unless more is needed.  Services avail at school do not take the place of outside counseling. Target specific school based needs; self-advocacy, coping skills, etc

    Consult and collaborate with the Team and family.

    When there is a need outside of school, we make appropriate referrals.

    There are Sweetser school based counselors to help with anything further needed; Case Management, etc

    HS based services are a lot more planning than the Elem levels.  At the Elem levels, they work more on social skills and self regulation skills.  They work with small groups and individually.  Elem goals are written annually at this point. They do help with transitions up the levels from school to school.

    Carol Holmstock (S/L)-S/L is also an IEP service.  A lot of students are transitioned from CDS or they are referred from parents or Teachers. Work on articulation skills, social pragmatic skills, fluency.  Work to teach a lot of self control, be good listeners, how to navigate the classroom properly.  Most schools do a 3 to 1 model, 3 weeks of direct service and 1 week of in the classroom work to transition the skills learned into the classroom.  This also helps the Reg Ed Teacher understand what needs to be carried on and continued into the classroom.

    Linda Marx (OT/PT)-Not stand alone services, they are there to help support the student with other services. PT/OT do require a scope of practice, such as sensory processing, adjusting themselves to the needs around them. Overlap a lot with SW in programs such as Zones of Regulation. Also work on, fine motor problems, visual perceptual problems, activities of daily living. PT specifically works with giving children functional access to their education (getting off and on the bus, core strength to sit up, safe movements).  Both OT and PT are working off of the functional needs of the student.

    3 pronged approach: direct treatment (if needed), accommodations within the classroom, teach students strategies.

    There are also co-treat groups with both S/L and PT.  Work in the classrooms and what environment is needed.  

    Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:56 AM by Laura Costello
Showing posts 1 - 5 of 39. View more »

Special Ed Pictures

About Us

M.S.A.D. 60 has a duty to locate, evaluate and identify any child residing in the District or attending a private school within the district who qualifies for Special Education services accommodations or services.

Children eligible for special education include those children with disabilities who have autism, deaf-blindness, developmental delay, emotional-behavior disability, hearing impairment, mental disability, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, specific learning disability, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, visual impairment, or developmental delay and who, because of such an impairment, need special education services.

If you suspect your child has a disability and may need special education services, or if you would like additional information, please contact your child’s teacher, principal or call the Special Education Department at (207) 676-2234 ext. 6