Plastic Film Recycling
November 15-April 15!
Congratulations Morris Middle/High School!
Plastic Film Recycling Challenge
Bins are located in the lobby.
THE PURPOSE OF THE PLASTIC FILM RECYCLING CHALLENGE IS TO...
- Recover plastic film, which cannot be recycled through regular curbside recycling programs in order to keep it out of our region’s landfill.
- Teach others that plastic film CANNOT be placed in curbside recycling bins, but CAN be delivered back to any grocery store and various other retailers in NYS. They are required by law to accept plastic film for recycling!
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Dry cleaning bags
Wood pellet bags
Ziploc & other reclosable bags
***All bags must be clean, dry and free of food residue***
Elementary students and Middle/High School students will be competing separately, and against each other!
Drop off bins will be located in the Main Lobby, or can be sent in with students!
- Can plastic pet food bags be included or are they too thick?
Depends. As long as the bags are either #2HDPE (high density polyethylene) or #4LDPE (low density polyethylene), they should be fine to include. They must be clean, however. If they are not labeled, or are labeled with a #7 or ‘other,’ do not include them.
- Related question... can the woven plastic pet food bags be recycled?
Sadly, no. These are made of polypropylene. Unfortunately rigid polypropylene is accepted in the County’s recycling program, but not the bags.
One thing we’ve done with these bags is to rinse them out, dry them, then cut and sew them into nice looking tote bags and shopping bags that are attractive and durable. They can also be stitched together to make tarps or covers for woodpiles, etc. It could be a nice project for an art class or something. We have some volunteers who sew bags, but I’m not sure we’d be able to handle the volume I expect the community could collect.
- What about film with paper labels stuck to it?
Labels and tape should be pulled or cut off. Also, any air pillows that come in should be deflated.
- Who do I contact if I have a question?
Heather Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org!